DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Stone front porch

Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default Stone front porch

I'm having a hard time finding info on how to construct a stone porch. Does anyone out there know where I can find some info?
Thanks!
Oh, and here's a pic of what I'm thinking:

Stone Porch.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

nobuddy?
Well, as of right now, the plan is to sink footers 36" down using cylinder forms. We're planning for 8x8 posts that will rest upon those cylindrical forms. I'd rather build up the footer though, at least to rail height on the porch, and have the posts begin there. Is that possible? Or is this look a facade built around posts that go all the way down? We'll have 8 posts for our 24' wide x 10' deep porch. (code requires that it be free-standing) We're planning a deck for the rooftop that will be around 75% greenroofed which is why we're using such big posts.
Any ideas?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The photo looks like a traditional stone wall that would be on a continuous footing. You could do the same. I doubt if it is just a facing because natural stone that size would need a footing for support.

Why not consult a professional? You will probably need drawings anyway to get a permit and show it is a free-standing porch.

The connection of the porch roof to the house could be tricky if they insist on keeping it separate. A local designer whould have a good idea about the application of the local code requirements.

Dick

Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Thanks Mudmixer, your name lets me know you know what you're talking about on this

So, if I poured a continuous footing and set some cinder blocks in it (with rebar, right?) and then faced it with pretty stones I could achieve that look, right? Or, I could skip the stones altogether and muddy up the face of the cinder wall to coordinate with the 'stucco' facade of my home... So then, what would my floor joists attach to, and how? Would I attach my beams to the cinder wall and hang joists like usual? Or would the joists hang right on the cinder wall with some sort of masonry joist hangar?

As for the porch roof, it will attach as any other roof would, but it will be 100% supported by the porch structure.

Quote:
Why not consult a professional?
That is what I hope to accomplish here

Here's what I've got so far for my plans, they are not finished though!!! And if you want, you can check out my house in my gallery.
Thanks for your help!!
porch plans begun.jpg  

Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default Nevermind, here goes plan B

Can't seem to find enough info on stonework for porches, so here's my lumber plan. I'll head to permitting monday AM, so let me know what I should change before then! Thanks in advance for your input!

edited to add: the plan doesn't include tying the new front porch to the old side porch. we'll attack that later.
edited again to add: as of 10/28 Still haven't made it to permitting --keep changing the plan!

Porch Plan-front view-small.jpg   Porch Plan-top view-small.jpg  

Last edited by bethany14; 10-28-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM  
K2eoj

Stonework or brickwork structurally would be the same and there would be lots of ways to do it. In my area I start everything with a soils test/report because of our weird soils. No sense doing thousands of dollar worth of work to find it is moving around on you.

I'd vote for a continuous footing below frost line. Or better yet a concrete footing/wall combo from frost line to grade, (slightly below grade). Then you can get your top and bottom rebar and take care of your tensile strength.

Probably a few other ways too.

We could probably help you out on the actual laying of the rock when you get that far.

K2

Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default If you've got answers, I've got questions

Thanks K2
I'm warming to the idea of a continuous footing. I can rent a terramite back hoe for about $200 incl delivery...that appeals to me more than renting an auger and digging 8 footers. Both are feasible, I imagine the continuous footer would provide a far more rigid structure. Since I'm raising 8x8 posts up to the 2nd story deck (which will hopefully support a vegetated roof) I like the idea of them beginning at rail height.
So, I envision a continuous wall that rises to just about floor height, and then built up blocks to rail height with posts resting on them. But then, should I be worried about moisture trapped under the porch? And what about the posts next to the house? This has to be free-standing, so I can't get around that.
Another thing I'm confused about, is what's the difference between resting the floor joists on top of the beams and hanging the joists from the beams? Seems to me hanging them is simpler and more efficient...but do you lose strength by doing that?
One more thing
If I secure the post to the block footing, can I also rest my beams on the footing? Could I sandwich the post with 2-2x10's? Or, should I set the beams on the block footings and rest the posts on them? Or would the continuous wall up to floor height then become the beam? And if so, how wide should the block wall be in order to support beams/joists at one level, and posts at another?
And lastly, am I making this more complicated than it has to be? Sorry if so, and thanks for any & all input

Porch Plan-front view-small w-wall.JPG  

Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Bethany:
I like the continous footer below frost line and concrete blocks to grade line then, if you want a porch that would be "period correct" for your house you could use limestone rip-rap. You just get a truck-load of the stone (which measure 6" to 8" each) do some pre-planning on where certain stones will be and start laying them similar to the way you would lay concrete blocks. This wall will bring out the artist in you and you can be proud of it the rest of your life.
I also like the stone piers on the wall to hold the 8x8s.
I would use portland cement and sand mixed at a 3-to-one ratio, rather than brick mortar, because the portland cement has better binding properties. Just spread a bed of the cement and lay the stones in it, occasionally rake the joints with a leather glove on your hand. That makes it look neat and pressing the cement into the joint gives a better bond to the stone.
If this sounds like a lot of work..... it is but you will be proud of it.
You could lay a run or two of 4" wide concrete blocks with a treated wood plate on top, behind the stone to support your floor joists. Yes hanging joists is just as good as laying them on top of the perimeter band.
Glenn

Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

On second look at your example house, I'm sure they have used limestone on their porch just like I was talking about.
Glenn

Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Glenn, you ROCK
I like your idea of limestone rip rap alot, I'm gonna call my local aggregate folks and figure out how much I'll need. What do you think I should do for the posts that are near the house? They're already pretty big and will occupy a significant amout of room on the porch. The ones on the ends I think I'd like to have the stone piers for, but I'm second guessing those center ones... Should I still make built up stone peirs for those posts? Or should I run those up from a concrete block pier just below the floor height? hmmmm....
edited to answer my own question
Yes, all posts will have a stone base. duh me

Last edited by bethany14; 10-24-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply