DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Pools and Spas > What all sanitizers should I need?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM  
amandascott51

Default What all sanitizers should I need?

1. I own a spa at home and everyone including my friends love soaking in it. I am very concerned about its maintenance since it is used often. I heard about the sanitizers available for spa cleaning and maintenance. What all sanitizers should I need? Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 409 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Chlorine is very popular but the formulation of chlorine for spas versus pools is different. Don’t mix them up. Spa's have a different temperature range than pools. Use a DI-CHLOR product, not a TRI-CHLOR product used in pool chlorine. Spa chlorine is typically in dry granular form, while pool chlorine is liquid.

You can also use BROMINE, although some people have skin sensitivities to it. (I had a bad experience with bromine in high school chemistry) Also, it can cause discoloration of jewelry. More maintenance and monitoring than Chlorine.

Finally, there is a product called “Cleanwater Blue” which uses copper ions to kill bacteria and algae. It is concentrated and cost effective. It has none of the skin or jewelry problems mentioned above. You might want to check into it!

Good luck soaking!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply