DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Fixing structural issues?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Fixing structural issues?

I just had inspection done on a house to buy, it seems the guy moved the stair case at one time but did not support it properly.
It is 1947 1-1/2 story with attic/bedroom. In the attic the floor has dips down quiet a bit pm pne site. Overall the house looks fine, i only noticed these things today.
The inspection guy assures me i fix it for $3k paid to a professional carpenter and it will fixed! Needless to say i'm a bit sceptical/worried.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

When a hole is cut thru the floor joists for a staircase, there needs to be a barring wall or a beam that carries the loads from above as well as the floor itself. If both floor have sagged the repair may be in the crawl space and may or may not be a big deal.
If only the upper floor is sagging, then something major is required. It may be more than just installing a beam as it will have to be supported all the way down to the foundation and if the is nothing there, more would have to be added.
I would ask the vender to have an engineer draw up the repair, then everyone will be on the same page on what is required.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

If you show us a picture or two, we might give you some suggestions that could cut down on the $3000 estimate. And FWIW, most home inspection associations' standard operating procedures do not allow inspectors to provide monetary quotations. Or offer to make repairs themselves.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 PM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is the stair case that was moved. The unfinished spot to the far right on the floor is sloping down. The next room is the attic, about 25% of the floor is sloping down to that point, about 1" i think.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Your framing should look like this.

floor-framing-stairs-with-landing.gif  

Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Note the double joists on each side and the double studs under the corner by the landing and double joist at each end of the staircase. The joists can be singles if they sit on bearing walls but the post at the corner should be supported all the way to a footing in the basement.
I hope this helps. Is the floor on the main also sagging.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:24 PM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Neal thanks that's a useful diagram. Based on it, i think i can see that the staircase will need some more support. You can see the pillar at the bottom it just sits on the wood landing and bellow he has some 2x4 jammed under it. So maybe two new big 4x4 pillars need to be put in, with footer?

Yes the kitchen floor is uneven as well, there will have to be some work done on the footers.
Do you think the sloping of the attic bedroom ( the next facing room) is related to the staircase lack of support? The kitchen? or all these separate problems?
I'm meeting a lic. carpenter tomorrow who will give me a quote, i figure better to spend a bit of money on this problem get it correct properly.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:30 PM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is the ceiling, nothing noticeable but who knows what under the foam tiles? I guess it can't be that bad (the seller refuses to remove.)
The ceiling is bellow the attic with the slope. I assume when i remove the foam tiles i will find bent or even cracked beam/joices? How bad could it be?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I can't get the photo of the ceiling, but if he just put stairs in with out support he probibly didn't up grade the joists up there either but could live with that maybe and the staircase will be a good size job but can be fixed.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Interesting looks like the guy who's still living there did some work around the headers! I guess he felt bad after what the inspector said. Notice the tiles different color. Maybe i can assume it is fixed.

I was there today and the contractor did not seem to think the problems were such a big deal as the inspector suggested...

He said for the crocked floor in the attic and the kitchen he would just put a new flooring over it to make it flat. I guess i do not need to pay him to do that.

He said if they push things up they may crack in with old houses it is better to just leave it as long as the foundation are solid.
Does that sound right to you?
I guess it is a matter of ply wood pieces laid down and some filler to level it off? Or is it a bad idea to let think continue sinking. Here's the spot, i think it is big area actually that needs to be filled. What do i fill it with?
So where the new tiles are he just change that area was weak, as the inspector said was not supported properly, so the up stairs floor sagged?

Last edited by bryce; 08-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply