Want to connect 3/8in condensation tube to sink drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekcentrico

Reaction score
We're in a really old house. So, the rigging on the install of an A/C unit had a bucket for condensation. I wasn't too thrilled to dump six times a day.

I ran a 3/8in tube from the unit to the bathtub through the wall in between the closet and bathroom easily. But, it's silly to go into the tub since it passes right behind the sink and its drain.

Are there any suggestions on how to easily tap into the sink drain, insert or affix the tube, and seal it off? Plumbing is a realm I'm not too familiar with.

I considered drilling a hole, pushing the tube through so that it goes through the trap and directly into the drain. Alternatively, I could just have the tube barely inside going down toward the trap and seal it up with some glue.

My wife thinks that guests won't enjoy the idea of bath water mixing with A/C condensation...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_20120912_115728.jpg

IMG_20120912_115713.jpg

IMG_20120912_115705.jpg

Maybe you could replace a section of sink drain pipe with a drain pipe with a wye fitting on it. These are used where dishwashers discharge and there is not garbage disposal connection.

You can probably get a drain clamp at Home Depot or Lowes, that will allow you to connect a 3/8" drainline to it. I used to use these for the drain for reverse osmosis systems.

Last edited:
I'll definitely look into the above suggestions. Thanks you two!!!

Temporarily, would it be a bad idea to tap a hole into the drain, feed the pipe through, and seal it off with some water-proof sealant?

I'll definitely look into the above suggestions. Thanks you two!!!

Temporarily, would it be a bad idea to tap a hole into the drain, feed the pipe through, and seal it off with some water-proof sealant?

That would be fine. Just make sure it's above the trap. good luck

The connection mus be made before the trap (the sink side of the trap)or you will get smell coming out of the AC.

Latest posts

Back