filling gaps in slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
I have a patio that's a slab on grade the had 4x8x16 block cemented on edge and used as the sill for screening. Most of the blocks are loose and I'm going to remove them to the slab.
I'm re-framing it to enclose the space and using 4x4pt as sills which will be anchored to the slab.
The slab has some unevenness after the removal of the block. I've hammered up as much of the old mortar to level it out. I'll use sill seal under the 4x4s but I'm still concerned about any gaps under.
Any recommendations for getting the best seal? Skim coat with mortar, lots of silicone or is there a right way to do it?

4x4s will warp as they dry and get wet and dry again. You might be better off using 2x4 so it will better bend to the shape of the floor and use 2 or three layers of sill gasket.
And welcome to the site.

Post a picture of the whole thing.
Not sure why you would even think about using A 4 X 4 as a bottom plate.
How would you even attach it to the slab?

What I decided to do is just use some sand topping mix .5 to .75 inch thick and bed and level the 4x4 on top, secured with wedge anchors.
No concerns with it getting wet as it's will be covered with pt ply and pvc or Hardie trim.
Thanks for your input.

Big mistake, but wish you the best.
Your going to have to use ACQ approved fastners for the studs and the sheathing or there just going to rust off.

Back