Winterization Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ofshelton

Reaction score
I just bought a stick build all drywall and drywall ceilings.... it is in northern michigan and we spend our winters in Arizonia. (no snow).... my question is simple.... can i fully winterize my new michigan house and turn off the heat when im gone. I have been told I am asking for trouble when I return in the spring with my drywall.... Is that true and would it be better for me to leave my furnace on to like 50 degrees...... help....

Leaving completely cold would require removing all waterfrom the hot and cold lines, hot water tank and toilets. Toilets with out water will let sewer gasses in the house. I'm not sure about a problem with drywall if it is kept dry.

Plug the toilets and sinks.

Expansion joints for drywall are sold so there may be a problem with temperature, see
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources/tech-talk-controljoint.htm

What's the coldest temp this house is likely to see (the 95% or 99% Outside Design Temperature for your area)?

How much are you likely to save in heating bills with the furnace set at 45F or so for several months (find a heating degree days Website listing your area)
vs
the risk of damage costing you $???
with the risk of damage at 72F being "zero."

Last edited:
A house shoud never really go below 50, It adds up to this Moisture problems, settling problems,expantion and contraction problems, it's just not worth it. I have been in lots of homes that all the drywall nails and screws are showing so personaly I would never do it over a long period of time. My two cents worth

Latest posts

Back