DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Suggestions on replacing patio's PVC roof panels

Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM  
picolin

Likes Given: 1

Default Suggestions on replacing patio's PVC roof panels

I have a small patio that was covered with transparent PVC sheets. I liked all the light they let in, but they are all broken and full of holes, so it's time to think about replacing them.

However, since I live in Texas, the sunlight that they let through heats up the room that is adjacent to them. I've been thinking about replacing them with either "tinted" polycarbonate sheets or galvanized panels.

What do you guys think? Is there something out there that I could do that would be a better option?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm up in Mesquite. I don't have quite the heat or humidity you have but I used opaque cover made from recycled material. No longer available.

Cant go wrong with metal, get long enough to cover without seams across roof; wasn't made in longer lengths, low slope and seams lead to leaks. Increase the side to side overlap by at least one valley and ridge.

Sound of rain on tin roof is peaceful, sound of metal withstanding typical Texas frog drowner or hail storm reassuring. Neighbors 40 year old tin roof has rusted to aesthetically pleasing color rich folks pay big bucks to match, no off color run off.

BTW put in more soffitt vents, one between the ones you have, push insullation away so air will flow.

When is non-humid time to visit San Antonio? That's why Alamo fell, everybody wilted. That and defenders had to run across street to use Walgreen's rest room. You'd think Daughter's would realize they should put in public restrooms.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM  
Precision Home Services
Contractor

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They make different and better grades of polycarbonate panels now that would allow light in and last longer then your original panels. The galv. panels would cut out all the light from above and would be harder to install.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Going with solid steel panels will darken the rooms inside considerably. If you're into the "dungeon" look, you'll be happy. But plan on using the inside lights more than you do now.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

You won't find much cheaper and easy to install like the product you have. It would have lasted longer if it had 1x4 straping under it.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM  
picolin

notmrjohn, I had been considering galvanized panels, but I had been a bit hesitant because of what Precision Home Services and BridgeMan mention, the reduction of light. But, I could do with a little less light, since I have windows galore in that room. I'm a bit ambivalent about the light issue, actually.

nealtw, what do you mean by strapping? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it. Is that the wavy underside that keeps them in shape? Foam closure strips? If so, the polycarbonate that I'm looking into is not exactly wavy, it is more angular:
Suntuf 26 in. x 12 ft. Clear Polycarbonate Roofing Panel Would they still work?

But, one thing that galvanized panels have on their side is that they seem to be cheaper.

Thanks guys, since I didn't hear any horror stories from you, I'll assume that the choice is just up to taste

Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

This type of roof needs 2x2 cross pieces to provide under-support for the panels. Downward pressure from rain flexes the panels and can cause premature cracking. I have seen this system with 2x2s at 12" o.c. held in place by deck screws.

Honestly, the junk on the roof obscuring the sunlight looks awful. I would rather have a galvy roof and a couple of small skylights or Solatubes for light. Durability plus light where you want it.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM  
picolin

CallMeVilla, wouldn't that be taken care of by those cross pieces already there? See second picture.

I agree it looks ugly.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

I found a pic of 2x2 strapping

PatioRoofDiagram.jpg  

Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM  
picolin

Ah, that makes sense. Not sure if it's needed or just a best practice, but I'll try to implement this once I remove the old panels.

Quick Reply