Asphalt shingle question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I started the roof on my shed. I am about half way done. All is fine until I started thinking about the top row of shingles. Can someone tell me how they should be installed? The roof is 7' front to 6' low side. Please advise.

Believe it or not, the top row placement depends on the direction of the prevailing wind at your location such that it will not tend to lift the last shingle.

Wuzzat? said:
Believe it or not, the top row placement depends on the direction of the prevailing wind at your location such that it will not tend to lift the last shingle.

Hmm being that I have no clue what would you suggest?

The last course of shingles, simply put the shingle up and position it the same way you did all the other courses and nail as close to the top. Then take a utility knife and cut the portion off that extends above the ridge. Next apply the shingle capping that covers the front and rear slope. It's not that difficult to do.

Thanks but there is no ridge. This is a shed sloped roof.

I thought you mean't a roof on a shed. Same as before, when you get to the top cut the shingles as close to the top as you can. If it is a brick wall you are flashing to you will have to grind flashing into the wall. If you are flashing into siding you will need to fabricate "L" flashing that goes under the siding and over the shingles.

Guys,

I truly appreciate all the advice but I am not explaining g myself well I guess. The shed I built is a free standing 10' x 8' shed. The roof slopes from 7' in the front to 6' in the rear. I'm not sure how to follow the guidance you've given me. My concern is that if I shingle the top row the same as the others the nails will be exposed. Make sense!

You may have to get the flashing made for this in the shape of a 7, the longer side of the 7 goes over the shingles and covers the nails, Nail the flashing on the side, not thru the top.The flashing wants to something like 4x2 inches.

Latest posts

Back