Exterior Window Trim Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got three windows side by side by side, one window is 47" wide and the next two are 60" wide. The gaps between the windows are different also, they are 3-3/4, 6-1/2 and 2-3/4.

My problem with these windows is that there is a 1/4" space between the window and the rough opening on the sides and tops of each window, right to the outside. These windows were installed by the previous owner, they are replacement windows only held in by one screw on each side, they are loose and feel as if they are going to fall out.

I will provide some pictures later today but my question is what is the best way to fix them? I have done a bunch of research on the internet and this is what i found to do, I have listed those steps below. If anyone has any advise, tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate it!

Steps:

1. Remove windows, properly flash the rough opening and verify its level.
  2. Install exterior window trim that shrinks the rough opening by 1/2" all around the window
  3. Push window up against the new trim, center the window with shims and use two exterior screws on each side of the window to secure it.
  4. Use window and door foam to seal window from inside along with caulking on the seam of the window and wood on the outside.
Thanks!

Not sure how you get 3 dividers between three windows. Windows are usually 1/2" smaller than the opening. this gives you room to level and plumb them. They should be shimmed so they center in the hole and screws on each side should go where there are shims.
Double check the distance between windows so they measure the same top and bottom to make trimming easier. Make sure the tops and bottoms all line up if they are all the same heights. Foam around the inside and caulking the outside will be about all you can do withan older house.

When the framing was done for these windows, it was not done properly. I post some pics later tonight and your jaw will drop, unfortunately when i bought the house this stuff was covered up. there is about 1/4" spacing and less in some areas, around the windows.

It was a deck that was made into a sunroom. I'm doing my best to make what I got secure without ripping it down and rebuilding it. I'm sure the pictures will give you much more insight.

Also, when nailing in the exterior trim, how do i sink the nails into the wood to hide them, i dont want to use finish nails. What do you recommend? Thanks

Hot dipped galvanized is the standard, why wouldn't you use finishing nails? They hold fine.

I thought that you needed to have it secure but again, im a rookie and have no clue. I thought that finish nails would not hold it correctly

You can also use stainless steel either finishing nails or thin siding nails. These will never rust. Then take a nails set and pound the nail head in slightly below the wood surface and fill the resulting shallow hole with a patching compound like Ready Patch. Prime over this. Then paint.

Latest posts

Back