DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > anyone tried the tv behind 2 way mirror deal?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default anyone tried the tv behind 2 way mirror deal?

i wasn't sure if this should have been asked in the electrical or walls and ceiling section, so this is the happy medium.

i've been thinking about it lately since i found a big picture frame. just wondering if anyones tried it. (ignore the price, got it at a half off sale)

the thing i'm wondering about is, even though it's a big frame, there's only enought depth for the mirror with about 1/4" left. the tv's i've been looking at just to get an idea of what i need are in the 3-5" thick range for a full 52" to match the frame opening. more than likely i'd go for a smaller tv in one corner or centered since a 52" is well out my price range, especially for an experiment. smaller tv's get closer to about 3" thick. i've been looking at some youtubes and web searches and see two ways it's done. either a really expensive thin monitor, or cut an inset in the wall for the tv.

for the moment i'm thinking add a 2x4 frame behind the actual frame, but that would only give me about 2" (including the 1/4" or so from the frame it's self), or turn the wood sideways, but that would have the frame stick out from the wall a little too un-naturaly i think.

i'm just not sure i want to go as far and cutting into my wall. so anyone tried this and have a better solution? thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

If I understand you correctly, there will be some light attenuation going through the mirror which may reduce the TV's apparent contrast and brightness.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

If you box the TV, keep cooling in mind. They want the glass as close to the TV as possible with out touching it.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Yes, use a fan at the far end of a duct to keep the fan noise down. The TV reliability depends on free air circulation due to convection currents.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks, i've kinda let the idea go already. i like the frame and want a mirror for the room anyway, so i'll go that far and leave the tv out of it. at least for now. maybe i'll get a flash of inspiration later.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, it's not back on a front burner, but i think i'm finding a decent recipe.

just in "keeping an eye out" mode now, and found out two things.

i was thinking the "2" side of a 2x4 wouldn't give me enough clearance to not cut into a wall, and the "4" side would stick out too much (trying to plane something down isn't an option for me), but i only recently found out there are 2x3's, which may be a happy enough medium.

also just walking through store tv sections when i'm out, i found a regular priced tv line that advertises how thin their tv's are, vizio razor. the smallest sizes are fairly well under 2", and the larger ones, even a 52", are just over 2".

either way i still couldn't afford a 52", but if i get more serious about the project i might be able to get something in the 30's or so inch range. i think i could work out the venting a little easier with a smaller screen too.

so i'm just building mentaly for right now, but since this is the tv deal season, i'm watching to see if something that'll work for me goes on sale too, 'cause i guess i'll have to have the tv to know what i need to do to the frame.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...gory/7373/1091.

Quick Reply