Furnace in Attic, don't want it

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VNATH

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house which has 2 zone heating and cooling.

Zone 1 is fine, furnace located in basement, AC unit outside, servicing basement and 1st floor.

The Zone 2 is the issue, the AC is fine located outside but the furnace is in attic and ducts 'snaking' all over the attic. It services only second floor which has all the bedrooms.

What I can do to get my attic space back, should I 're-snake' the ducts and re-position the furnace OR is there any other alternative?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hay welcome to the site.
There maybe all kinds of reasons for not having a furnace in the attic, like ice dams and mold and who knows what but I am interested why you want to reclaim the attic space. If you have trusses you will never have usable space.

There is around 900 sq ft of usable space 40 x 20 in T shape with ceiling height of 7 - 8 ft, it can be very suitable for home office there is already to windows installed, but the duct cris cross the entire attic floor some even it I try to start putting floors I cannot.

I'm not a hvac guy but I think you should be able to have it re-worked so ducts go under the floor. Your ceiling joists will probibly have to be beefed up for a floor, like 2x8s or 2x10, floor joists. Do you have a better place for the furnace?

Why couldn't you reconfigure the trunk line to run against the outside of the attic near where the roof line meets the floor and run service lines in the ceiling joist bays. Build a knee wall to cover it all and have some access doors so you could get in to service it in the future?

Back