What takes dirty motor oil off of concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
besides Gunk?
Will acetone work? How about carburetor cleaner?
I've got some other strong solvents in the basement that I can maybe use.

Get as much up as you can with paper towels and rags, then make a paste out of Tide laundry detergent (powdered) and let it it for a while keeping it wet. Then take a stiff bristle brush and scrub.

I've used gas and sawdust, sweep it around with a stiff broom. It'll take the bulk of it off so you don't track it in the house. After that Sunlight dish soap will take most of the stain out [sometimes].

Thanks, guys. I'll try these less aggressive methods first before I use solvents.

As a second to last resort use muriatic acid. As a last resort, use a jackhammer..... ;-)

As a second to last resort use muriatic acid. As a last resort, use a jackhammer..... ;-)
I bought that acid to remove stains from wet concrete on brick and I have not yet used it. :(
And I have a radio in the basement that I have been meaning to install in my truck since 2003. :eek:
It seems those oil stains from when I replaced a head gasket are not very noticeable so I guess now I may never do it. :beer:

Before you jack hammer it out just paint the driveway with used oil, People just try to hard. :D

did you try kitty litter? I use that to remove all the oil I have ever spilled

Super Clean and let it sit till you get around to using the hose

I think we have some shade tree mechanics on this site. . .:p

did you try kitty litter? I use that to remove all the oil I have ever spilled

I used some RED coloured kitty litter on my new driveway (squished it into every oil drop) now I've got red spots all over the place.:mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back