DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mold Removal/Remediation




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 02:34 PM  
mandyg1rl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Default Mold Removal/Remediation

This is my first post and I'm not much of a DIYer but thought I could get some good advice. We have discovered a plumbing leak from the kitchen sink on 2nd floor leaking down to the 2nd floor basement/bathroom area that has caused a mold problem. We had someone come out and give us an estimate. They estimated the area to be around 100 sq. ft. They say $5600 just to get the mold out and do the testing. That doesn't include the resoration, which would be another $3k (but we can probably do that work ourselves). I am still in sticker shock. I've read that it is not safe to remove mold yourself but WOW, $5600!
If anyone has any experience with this or any advice, I'd welcome it.



__________________
mandyg1rl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM  
bethany14
DIY dummy
 
bethany14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 151
Default

Hi mandyg1rl, and welcome to the forum!
You should definately be careful removing the mold, and hiring someone else to do it safely is an option to consider. Shop around a little more though, I'd be in sticker shock too. Have you solved the leak yet? Can you dry the area thoroughly? Is the mold between the walls, or surface? I'm no pro, just a DIY'er figuring it all out as I go. I may not be able to help you, but if I can, I'd be happy to



__________________
bethany14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM  
mandyg1rl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Default

We had someone else come out yesterday, I'm hoping to get the quote soon. We shut off the water where it was leaking. Unfortunately the plumber told us he couldn't touch it until we got rid of the mold. (So it's been paper plates and plastic utensils lately-and a lot of TV dinners!) Unfortunately most of the mold is between the walls and behind the sink cabinets. We've dried any water that was there, so now it's just waiting to get it out of there. I'm crossing my fingers that this next quote will be a little less painful. Thanks for your reply. =)

__________________
mandyg1rl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM  
CraigFL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 409
Default

I know there's a lot of controversy going on these days about mold and mold problems. It seems like the next big business opportunity for people to go into now that asbestos has quieted down. (OK... off my soapbox...) In any case, it's expensive to have anyone do anything these days especially if a perceived risk is involved. I've been a homeowner for 35+ years now and have cleaned lots of mold up with Clorox bleach and /or other cleaning supplies where it's in the open. Where it's behind walls, I've allowed it to dry thouroghly and sealed it in with a paint like KILZ. While some may say it's not perfect, it's certainly livable and not as hard on the wallet.

__________________
CraigFL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 08:47 PM  
K2eoj
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Default

I'm with Craig. If you can't remove some mold yourself you can't do anything yourself. I've done a ton of it myself and I definitly have a negetive reaction to mold. Respirator and a spray bottle with some bleach to kill as much as possibe before I get in with scrapers etc. I'm certain some of these guys are selling a bunch of hewy. Most people arn't even affected but you want to keep it that way. Respirator and saftey first.

If it is inside wall I prefer to cut the drywall out in the affected areas and treat with bleach, wire brush, more bleach and then re drywall . I personally would not believe anyone that told me they could treat the inside of a wall, and how would you ever know if they were effective. They would be in line with the guys in my area who spray trees for insects that don't exist in this climate and other similar nonsense. Lots of bs out there. Hang on to your wallet.

__________________
K2eoj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2006, 09:09 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
inspectorD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,116
Liked 132 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Default Hmmm.

Before you remove any mold, have it tested to see what it is.
There are some out there that will outlast any bleach you spray it down with, this has to do with the parts per million in bleach VS the mold you have. So don't just think you can clean it up yourself and it goes away.
Testing this will let you know if you can DIY .
The problem of spreading it around while you clean it up is also a factor, some mold only goes dormant and waits years for another moisture source.
I agree that some out there feed at the trough on the mold issues and are scaring people into things they could take care of with a little knowledge, however there are some things you don't mess with until you know for sure what you are dealing with.

Testing is not more than a few hundred dollars....anywhere.
And the testing company can give you information on how to deal with it...sort of like payin for some schoolin, and piece of mind.
How much is your families health worth?

__________________

Just My
Made in the

inspectorD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM  
kgdonna
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Default

I do this for a living so let me give you some advice. First make sure that you section off the rest of the house while your working in the kitchen area, you don't want cross contamination. Second there's a rule of thumb, if it's poros it's removed, bagged and replaced. So the sheetrock, gone, the insullation, gone. Now, once you cut our the mold areas (go about 2 feet beyond the last mold area) just clean off the hard wood with regular soap and water! After you cleaned the hard surfaces with soap and water you might want to go to a chemical supply store and get a product that kills mold and leaves a residue that will work for months later, most chemical stores have several. After you do all that THEN have it tested, but make sure you hepa vaccume all surfaces because mold particals will fly everywhere and hepa vaccuming will remove it. BTW, always wear a mask, and not a dust mask but at least a 95 grade mask. Mold remediators are know for taking a 2K job and making it 25K without effort. Just remember, if it's porus, contain, remove and replace.

__________________
kgdonna is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM  
Gregory Restoration
Gregory Restoration
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Default

This thread is pretty old. I'm curious about the outcome of your mold story?

Was the water damage and mold repaired and removed?

Bill Gregory.
Orange County Water Damage | Mold Removal Orange County | 949-366-1930

__________________

Last edited by Gregory Restoration; 11-29-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: repair link
Gregory Restoration is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 AM  
derekm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Default

I'm a bit curious about it too as I expect to be facing the same problem soon.

__________________
derekm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 PM  
derekm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Default

This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer.

I found some mold as I began tearing apart the bathroom. It was between the paneling and the sheetrock next to the tub. The wood behind the sheetrock looked clean, hard and dry.

After taking out drywall, is there a set period of time to wait before you can start working again? I've got the window, newly recovered, open with a box fan blowing outside.



__________________
derekm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Mold please help sp9659 Flooring 2 02-12-2010 11:41 PM
Mold Infestation DadOfFour Walls and Ceilings 4 11-08-2008 06:11 AM
Mold in AC system? gan_nair HVAC 2 08-12-2008 06:41 PM
Mold Vapor Barrier Question for the Experts. IBJammin Insulation and Radiant Barriers 5 02-17-2008 06:16 PM
Mold Vapor Barrier Question for the Experts. IBJammin Framing and Foundation 1 02-04-2008 07:17 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS