Fusebox used as j-box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr4997378

Reaction score
I have a friend who just moved into a new house. He is renting and the landlord had bought it as a farm house and renovated it and put two new additions on it. When he redid the electrical in the old part, he left the old fuse panel in place and ran a mix of new 12-2, 14-2, and 14-3 into the panel to tie into some greenfield, some really old nm wire, and these green nm wires that look like they would be aluminum but are really copper just to save on wire and fishing cables. Are you allowed to use panel as junction box and also anything on these green nm wires? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes an old panel can be gutted and used as a junction box. It does need a cover though.

JoeD said:
Yes an old panel can be gutted and used as a junction box. It does need a cover though.

Yes it has a cover. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I have seen an operational panel with wires junctioned inside it. Obviously, it needs a cover.

CallMeVilla said:
Yes, I have seen an operational panel with wires junctioned inside it. Obviously, it needs a cover.

Well it's not really operational. It's an old fuse panel from the 50's. the landlord took everything out of it and ran some of his new lines from the new 200 amp panel he put in the new addition into the old panel to tie into the old wiring. He redid everything in the late 90's.

Purely out of personal curiosity, why are you asking this?

Back