DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Finishing a cutting board




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM  
jmc0319
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Finishing a cutting board

I am making a cutting board and would like to know how best to finish it. I am using maple and oak.


jmc0319 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 13,804
Liked 1398 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 2408

Default

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...-finishes.aspx


nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Red Oak, IA, Iowa
Posts: 182
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

I presume that you intend to use this for food use. You want to use either olive oil or you can find an oil for cutting boards (unscented, pure mineral oil). Do not use any stains, varnishes, oils, or other compounds that are not designated for food contact.
dthornton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM  
jmc0319
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthornton
I presume that you intend to use this for food use. You want to use either olive oil or you can find an oil for cutting boards (unscented, pure mineral oil). Do not use any stains, varnishes, oils, or other compounds that are not designated for food contact.
Thanks. Is tung oil safe for cutting boards?
jmc0319 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 13,804
Liked 1398 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 2408

Default

Oily rags left alone can combust on there own, That alone drove me to the bees wax and real shellack chips that you heat up and mix together and let cool. It just took a while for me to remember why. Combustable rags and wood shop, not a good mix.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...il-soaked-rags
nealtw is online now  
dthornton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM  
jmc0319
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
Oily rags left alone can combust on there own, That alone drove me to the bees wax and real shellack chips that you heat up and mix together and let cool. It just took a while for me to remember why. Combustable rags and wood shop, not a good mix.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...il-soaked-rags
Great point.
jmc0319 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,506
Liked 513 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

I built a large island, topped with a big cutting board (48"66"). Used walnut oil to finish it. Looked great. I reapplied the oil about twice a year because it seldom got wet. The one side was an overhang for bar stools. Everything worked out great.
CallMeVilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM  
jmc0319
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla
I built a large island, topped with a big cutting board (48"66"). Used walnut oil to finish it. Looked great. I reapplied the oil about twice a year because it seldom got wet. The one side was an overhang for bar stools. Everything worked out great.
The Olympic thing I can find in the big box is tung oil
jmc0319 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM  
jmc0319
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0319

The Olympic thing I can find in the big box is tung oil
Love autocorrect. That was the only thing I can find is tung oil.
jmc0319 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,506
Liked 513 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Walnut oil is readily available ... I got mine at: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FetFMgodCQgASw

Remember, it must be 100% pure walnut oil without any additives or preservatives. Make sure it is for use on food surfaces.

Make sure you invite me for dinner.


CallMeVilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Have a Built In Cutting Board in Marble Countertop? Curmudgeon10 Decorating and Design 1 01-26-2013 11:52 PM
Finishing any ideas? bryce Decorating and Design 16 10-17-2012 06:38 PM
Cutting luan board tractng General Home Improvement Discussion 5 07-02-2012 07:47 AM
Help with finishing my basement butchbs1985 General Home Improvement Discussion 8 05-17-2011 07:48 PM
Making a light board ( basicly like a sound board) for studio colepittman Electrical and Wiring 0 08-04-2007 02:27 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS