Finishing a cutting board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I am making a cutting board and would like to know how best to finish it. I am using maple and oak.

I presume that you intend to use this for food use. You want to use either olive oil or you can find an oil for cutting boards (unscented, pure mineral oil). Do not use any stains, varnishes, oils, or other compounds that are not designated for food contact.

dthornton said:
I presume that you intend to use this for food use. You want to use either olive oil or you can find an oil for cutting boards (unscented, pure mineral oil). Do not use any stains, varnishes, oils, or other compounds that are not designated for food contact.

Thanks. Is tung oil safe for cutting boards?

I built a large island, topped with a big cutting board (48"66"). Used walnut oil to finish it. Looked great. I reapplied the oil about twice a year because it seldom got wet. The one side was an overhang for bar stools. Everything worked out great.

CallMeVilla said:
I built a large island, topped with a big cutting board (48"66"). Used walnut oil to finish it. Looked great. I reapplied the oil about twice a year because it seldom got wet. The one side was an overhang for bar stools. Everything worked out great.

The Olympic thing I can find in the big box is tung oil

jmc0319 said:
The Olympic thing I can find in the big box is tung oil

Love autocorrect. That was the only thing I can find is tung oil.

I think tung is widely used on those big wooden bowls and utensils you can buy in the stores. I used mineral oil on my butcher block countertops (go to Wal~Mart; in the pharmacy section, a bottle of mineral oil (food grade) is only a couple of bucks.) I think it is in the laxative section. I usually use olive oil on my cutting boards. As Villa suggested, walnut oil is also good. Neal had a good idea, too, with the beeswax. Basically, if you wouldn't be comfortable ingesting it, don't use it on a cutting surface.

dthornton said:
I think tung is widely used on those big wooden bowls and utensils you can buy in the stores. I used mineral oil on my butcher block countertops (go to Wal~Mart; in the pharmacy section, a bottle of mineral oil (food grade) is only a couple of bucks.) I think it is in the laxative section. I usually use olive oil on my cutting boards. As Villa suggested, walnut oil is also good. Neal had a good idea, too, with the beeswax. Basically, if you wouldn't be comfortable ingesting it, don't use it on a cutting surface.

Thanks a lot.

according to the FDA tung oil is safe to use but only if it is applied properly and allowed to thoroughly dry, otherwise, you will visiting the bathroom very often for a while with your butt over one place and your mouth another. Personally , I wouldnt' use it . instead walnut oil or mineral oil is best

elbo said:
according to the FDA tung oil is safe to use but only if it is applied properly and allowed to thoroughly dry, otherwise, you will visiting the bathroom very often for a while with your butt over one place and your mouth another. Personally , I wouldnt' use it . instead walnut oil or mineral oil is best

I finished the cutting board and used mineral oil. I used red oak and Purple Heart. I thought I would send you a picture. Thanks for all your advice as always.

image-2617867800.jpg

nice job, shame to use it as a cutting board, but what else is there ?

Looks nice, but I will suggest you don't picture frame laminated wood. Wood will expand and contract width ways. Any time you frame solid wood like a cupboard door the panel is loose in the frame so it can move.

Thanks Elbo. Maybe a trivet.

Neal - great point will watch for that and remember next time. I just couldn't resist.

jmc - bet if you made a few of those you could make quite a few $$$ at a flea market or yard sales!

Latest posts

Back