DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Pest Control > Squirrelly!




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Red Oak, IA, Iowa
Posts: 182
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

floatr, I haven't found anything that deters them. Even though the neighborhood cats chase them, they come back. I went to Tractor Supply Company and got a trap for $35. I used apple slices for bait, and I think I caught 9 total. Took them and released them in a nature area by a lake 10 miles from the house. Humane, nice area for them to live, and they won't come back.


dthornton is offline  
nealtw Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 AM  
nealtw
Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 14,205
Liked 1448 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 2497

Default

http://www.food.com/recipe/squirrel-...dma-made-76112


nealtw is online now  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 PM  
nunyabiz1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

We have had little fur terrorist in our attic a couple of times, they will do a lot of damage if you do not get them outa there.
I used a HavaHart trap for a while and trapped at least 16 but they got wise to it and stopped going into it no matter what I used as bait.
So I ended up just giving the rest of them lead poisoning with my air rifle.

I live in a townhome in the city, but my air rifle is virtually silent and is more than powerful enough to kill a squirrel in its tracks out to at least 50+ yards.
Quality air rifles are also extremely accurate, I can hit a dime usually 10 outa 10 shots at 50 yards and can bust an aspirin probably 80% of the time under 25 yards.
I have killed at least 15 or more with my air rifle.
Any air rifle that shoots at least 600 fps with a .177 pellet is enough to humanely take a squirrel out to 25 yards.
Mine shoots about 850fps with a mid weight 8.6gr .177 pellet
nunyabiz1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 AM  
frodo
Senior Member
 
frodo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,338
Liked 474 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Default

yum yum yum squirrel stew. or fried squirrel with squirrel gravy on biscuits


love me some rodent!!!!!!!!!
untitled.png  
frodo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 2,942
Liked 485 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiz1 View Post
We have had little fur terrorist in our attic a couple of times, they will do a lot of damage if you do not get them outa there.
I used a HavaHart trap for a while and trapped at least 16 but they got wise to it and stopped going into it no matter what I used as bait.
So I ended up just giving the rest of them lead poisoning with my air rifle.

I live in a townhome in the city, but my air rifle is virtually silent and is more than powerful enough to kill a squirrel in its tracks out to at least 50+ yards.
Quality air rifles are also extremely accurate, I can hit a dime usually 10 outa 10 shots at 50 yards and can bust an aspirin probably 80% of the time under 25 yards.
I have killed at least 15 or more with my air rifle.
Any air rifle that shoots at least 600 fps with a .177 pellet is enough to humanely take a squirrel out to 25 yards.
Mine shoots about 850fps with a mid weight 8.6gr .177 pellet
I hope you go pick 'em up after they stop moving.
slownsteady is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM  
nunyabiz1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
I hope you go pick 'em up after they stop moving.
Oh yeah, I don't just leave a bunch corpses lying around LOL.
I bag them in 2-3 plastic grocery bags and toss them.
nunyabiz1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 2,942
Liked 485 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Default

I'm sure you realize that if anybody ever sees that barrel pointing out a window (or something), that you will have a spit-load of explaining to do - with a bunch of guns pointing at you.
slownsteady is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:13 AM  
oldognewtrick
Lost And Found Dept
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,419
Liked 748 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default

Squirells are considereed small game. Most areas are regulated by laws harvesting animals, liscense. Some states have wanton waste laws. If you don't plan on eating them, consider a live trap and relocate them.
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 AM  
nunyabiz1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
I'm sure you realize that if anybody ever sees that barrel pointing out a window (or something), that you will have a spit-load of explaining to do - with a bunch of guns pointing at you.
Oh without any question considering we now live in what amounts to a Police State with an invading Paramilitary army.
Plus my air rifle does not look like a daisy red rider, it looks like a 30-06 with a silencer.
FWB 124D 001.jpg  
nunyabiz1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 AM  
nunyabiz1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Squirells are considereed small game. Most areas are regulated by laws harvesting animals, liscense. Some states have wanton waste laws. If you don't plan on eating them, consider a live trap and relocate them.
well fortunately in NC its called a "Depredation" thus I can trap or kill them if they are doing damage to my property.

""Wildlife Resources Commission manages wildlife in North Carolina. Updated regulations will take effect on Aug. 1 this year spelling out how residents can trap wildlife causing damage to property. Both the current and new regulations use the term “taking” to describe killing or capturing wildlife and refer to the damage caused by wildlife as “depredations.”
The revised regulations clarify that a property owner or lessee does not need a permit to take wildlife caught in the act of committing depredations on his or her property."


Now I did in fact trap at least 16 of them with a Hava Heart trap and relocate them all about 2 miles away in a large wooded area.
However they started getting far too smart and became virtually impossible to catch them. I went from catching 2-3 a day to where I would catch zero in weeks.
Even though I actually like squirrels in general, they are a major nuisance and will do massive damage to a house, not to mention they destroy everything we have in our yard, eat all my blueberries etc.
So every once in awhile I pull out the old pellet rifle and take a few of them out just to try and maintain some semblance of control.


nunyabiz1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS