Planer or Jointer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I am a newbie wood worker and am building up my shop. Have band saw, table saw, mitre saw, router table and am now looking for my new tool. I am thinking about a planer or a jointer and can not decide. I am thinking a jointer with a tab rabetting table would be more functional. I like to make tables, cutting boards, trivets and other types of furniture.

I would love to know from the pros which tool you would choose and why please.

Thanks.

I have never used a jointer for rabbeting. Use the table saw for that. Jointer is used for making boards flat and square. Planer is used for making board uniform thickness.
If you work with rough sawn lumber you sort of need both.

You can do jointing with the routeruntil you figure it's worth having a dedicted machine. I picked up an old Beaver jointer circa 1950 works fine for $75.

Thanks Neal. I am leaning toward the planer for now and then later the jointer.

I have a 12" thickness planer and found it to be pain to set up and use, can't say that I mastered it. Got my hands on an old double drum thickness sander and never used the planner since. There are lots of plans for home built or you could opt for a nice one, open on one side so you could sand wide material. Just something else to think about.

I have both, a planer and jointer. I use the planer all the time and the jointer sits and gathers sawdust.When I have to glue up several boards to make one wide one I use the table saw. How I do this is this. I determine which sides I want to have exposed, then mark each piece with chalk on the preferred side. I then saw the first board with the chalk up and the second with the chalk down, and continue in this manner until I reach the desired size. The reason for alternating is to compensate for any slight varience from a true 90 degrees. then glue up the pieces with the chalk mark up, making certain that the boards are true across the top. any difference , I run it through the planer. If the board is too wide for the planer , I sand it even

Back