DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > hot water at pressure 125 - what does this say about 13yr hot water heater




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM  
JoeD
Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 1,104
Liked 144 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

98 psi is too high. Most fixture will have a max rating of 80 psi and 40 to 60 is sufficient for most homes.
I think if you have a pressure regulator on your main line then it is defective. probably a hole in the diaphragm by the 30 second rise from 40 to 98.


JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM  
montag
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
If you have a pressure reducing valve near the shut off valve you can take that down to about 60lbs and I think Joe is right about replacing the pressure release valve on the water tank.
Thanks Neal. Sorry to be dense but do mean replace the TPR valve on the side of the water heater or replace the wilkins valve on the hot water line. I'm thinking you mean the TPR because it should be releasing water with this high pressure problem and it is not. The wilkins valve is doing the release, thankfully. The pipe to the wilkins is warm and I can hear it running and the pipe to the TPR is cold with no running sound.

I do have a pressure reducing valve (cone shaped thing) at the point where water comes into the garage (where the water heater is located). I adjusted it counter clockwise a number of turns and it had very little effect on reducing static pressure. Only went down by 2lbs. Did at least 5 turns so it backed out a distance of 5mm. I'm afraid to back it out any more.


montag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM  
montag
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
98 psi is too high. Most fixture will have a max rating of 80 psi and 40 to 60 is sufficient for most homes.
I think if you have a pressure regulator on your main line then it is defective. probably a hole in the diaphragm by the 30 second rise from 40 to 98.
I think you are right Joe. The pressure regulator is not working and has to be replaced. A job for this weekend.
montag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM  
oldognewtrick
Lost And Found Dept
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,414
Liked 748 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post
Thanks Neal. Sorry to be dense but do mean replace the TPR valve on the side of the water heater or replace the wilkins valve on the hot water line. I'm thinking you mean the TPR because it should be releasing water with this high pressure problem and it is not. The wilkins valve is doing the release, thankfully. The pipe to the wilkins is warm and I can hear it running and the pipe to the TPR is cold with no running sound.

I do have a pressure reducing valve (cone shaped thing) at the point where water comes into the garage (where the water heater is located). I adjusted it counter clockwise a number of turns and it had very little effect on reducing static pressure. Only went down by 2lbs. Did at least 5 turns so it backed out a distance of 5mm. I'm afraid to back it out any more.
After you turned the regulator back, did you run water to relieve the pressure in the pipe?
oldognewtrick is online now  
nealtw Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM  
montag
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
After you turned the regulator back, did you run water to relieve the pressure in the pipe?
I saw a video online that said to run a faucet slightly while making the adjustment, so I did that. After I did the adjustment I turned on the faucet full for 10 seconds then closed it and went and checked the static water pressure.
montag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 14,194
Liked 1447 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 2497

Default

I would change both, the regulater and the release valves.
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM  
montag
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks Neal. Will change both the reducing and TPR valve.

Just for reference, I've attached an image of the existing reducing valve. Will try and get one of similar dimensions.
pressure_regulator_valve_042213_small.jpg  
montag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,517
Liked 519 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default

Honestly, at 13 yo that tank is due to go away. Sediment, corrosion, and a failing PRV ... all point to a replacement. I just replaced a 13 yo tank and more than 50% of the thing was sediment ... it weighed a ton AFTER draining it!

New ones are more energy efficient, have better thermostats, and easy to install (if you have plumbing skills) ... GO FOR IT.
CallMeVilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM  
montag
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
Honestly, at 13 yo that tank is due to go away. Sediment, corrosion, and a failing PRV ... all point to a replacement. I just replaced a 13 yo tank and more than 50% of the thing was sediment ... it weighed a ton AFTER draining it!

New ones are more energy efficient, have better thermostats, and easy to install (if you have plumbing skills) ... GO FOR IT.
Thank you CallMeVilla, that's a good point. I think after I have replaced the reducing valve I'll be thinking about that tank replacement as the next project. I think I can do it myself. What tank manufacturer did you go with.
montag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,517
Liked 519 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default

Most recent replacement was with a Rheem. They wanted a 60 gallon version for the large family in their summer house. It has a "vacation" setting, so its energy use in minimized while they are gone. I receooended turning it off ... but they were fearful about re-lighting every trip.

You also have to know that tank manufacturers have their metallurgy down to a real science. For a 5-Year tank under normal usage it will die in 5 years +/- one month. Not kidding. I got home after replacing a 5-Year tank one day and my neighbor was hauling a new tank out of his truck. "Yeah, mine died within two months of the five year warranty." he said.

Be aware!


TANK.jpg  
CallMeVilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
hot water heater - hot water venting outside from mixer valve montag Plumbing Forum 13 10-01-2012 03:21 PM
whole-house water filetration system and water pressure ilyaz Water Softener and Heater 7 07-31-2012 09:03 AM
Hot water heater not making hot water planehopr Plumbing Forum 1 02-23-2012 02:02 AM
MUST I replace a hot water heater that got water damage from Hurricane Irene? Seidperson Plumbing Forum 2 09-12-2011 07:12 PM
can I reuse hot/cold water flex lines on gas water heater? gordon Plumbing Forum 2 12-14-2008 01:16 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS