DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Replacing header or leave in when re-framing wall

Old 06-01-2013, 11:18 PM  
dutchbuild

Default Replacing header or leave in when re-framing wall

Hi All,

This is my first post here, so feel free to redirect if this is not the right place. This question could fit into the walls and ceiling forum also, but since it concerns the framing of the wall I figured this may be better. We just bought a house, so I'll have more questions in the future, I'm sure:-).

I took out a small protrusion (by lack of a better word) of the kitchen were originally the fridge was put in. The idea is to put the wall back in its original configuration so that I can reclaim the garage space (was extending into the garage). However, of course in the kitchen wall, the 2x4s were cut and a header put in to allow the add-on to the kitchen. I need to re-frame it before putting sheet rock back on. So can I just leave the header in and but 2x4s under it at the same location the 2x4s above the header? Or should I take out the header out and replace the cut 2x4s by new full length 2x4s?

Thanks for any input!

frame2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is that knob and tube wiring?

Are you calling that 2x4 laid flat a header?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM  
dutchbuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsonWashington View Post
Is that knob and tube wiring?

Are you calling that 2x4 laid flat a header?
Not sure if your questions are rhetorical, but in any case, yes that's knob and tube wiring. And yes, since that beam (it's not a 2x4) laid flat was presumably put in to function as a header, I was referring to it as a header.

Whether or not it is a 'real' header is not relevant at this point since it will not function as a header anymore. This is just how I found it.

Any advise on how to move forward?

Last edited by dutchbuild; 06-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I would just leave the "header" in place and install 2/4's below the upper ones.
My first project would be to replace the wiring and bring it up to spec. I can only imagine what your insurance company's reaction to the knob and tube wiring would be.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 167

YES, you can replace the stud wall without removing the header they installed. Best practice would be to install new studs directly below (vertically in-line with) the old ones. If you want to get anal about it, you could install horizontal blocks to add lateral rigidity.

As for the K&T wiring ... get rid of it!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Definitely needs to be restructured. The studs that were cut out were supporting the floor above. I'm not sure that 2x6 nailed on is doing a proper job of supporting the floor.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM  
dutchbuild

Thanks guys! That's what I'll do then.

As to the k+t wiring. Yes, I understand it's not great. We have replaced the fuse box by breakers and had an electrician look at the wiring. His take was that since the insulation on the wires is still very good good (not brittle) it was not an immediate issue (was installed in 60s). But yes, will definitely add it to the (long) project list and will get to it at some point.

Thanks again for the input! Much appreciated.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 924 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

The 2x4 nailed to the studs under the joists is the only thing close to a header, Support the floor above before restructuring this wall. Get a couple more opinions on the k&t wiring.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM  
dutchbuild

Thanks for the advise Neal. This is a single story building so the wall just supports the (flat) roof.

Yes, I'll get some other opinions on the K&T. My biggest concern is that insulating the exterior walls does not seem possible with this archaic installation. I was thinking to replace it anywhere I am replacing sheet rock anyway (which will eventually be pretty much everywhere) and just go step by step that way. Good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The 2x4 nailed to the studs under the joists is the only thing close to a header, Support the floor above before restructuring this wall. Get a couple more opinions on the k&t wiring.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 924 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

If you don't change the wiring now I would still plan a head for it in pull in the peices of new wire while it's open so you don't have to rip down this new drywall later.

Quick Reply