Torque on exterior A/C disconnect lugs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suobs

SuperMember
Reaction score
I am redoing the wiring to an exterior A/C compressor and to/from the exterior disconnect box (made by GE). The disconnect box instructions say to torque the lugs to 32-35 in-lb. I've ruined several lugs trying to do this. They have a single slot that is so wide that I can't find any driver bit that engages the slot securely, definitely not enough to accommodate that kind of torque. Is there a special tool for this or am I missing some trick of the trade? Also, should I be using a torque wrench also on the connections to the A/C?

as tight as you can get them with a regular screwdriver is fine.

One more question about this - I assume that for the lug connections you strip off enough insulation (about 1/4"-3/8") to inert the bare wire under the lug, then just tighten the lug down on it. In other words, the wire doesn't wrap around anything, right?

(I can't believe manufacturers can get away with being so vague about something that is supposedly critical - the instructions actually say to strip off "__ in" (direct quote - there's no number there) of insulation and they included no illustration of the lug connection).

You are correct. The insulation should not be trapped inside the lug AND there should be about
1/4" of bare wire between the lug and the insulation. Common sense: minimize the exposure of the conductor and prevent the insulation from getting fried at the connection point.

You are doing fine. Get it done so you can go inside and have a cool drink. :D

AC Wire.jpg

Last edited:
Sun's not on that wall yet, so I'm good :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the photo.

Latest posts

Back