AC system not working...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a 12 year old Ruud system that started blowing warm air. Checking outside on the unit and the fan motor had stopped turning, though it's not seized. Compressor seemed to be working. Contactor was chattering as it has been. I'm going to check the capacitor when I get my bud's meter. I'm trying to figure the correct methodology if the cap is good, test the motor? Anything else I should be looking at? I'm in S Florida, if it matters. Thanks,

Most common problem is blown capacitor. Remember to discharge it before touching it. Use a pair of pliers or a screw driver to ground both the Herme and the Fan poles to the Common. It is good practice to replace the capacitor if there is a AC problmem. They are cheap and easy to repair.

Next step will be checking the motor. You might find this to be more info than you want ... but you will learn a lot! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiHh_Rufi0[/ame]

Good luck! Stay cool!

Got it fixed. Had a couple of hot days waiting for the replacement capacitor but that's all it was. Chillin now.... Thanks,

Latest posts

Back