Exterior Sliding Glass Door & Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
SGD leads into exterior patio and is actually on the outside of the opening thus inside the patio or outside of the house. I'd like to replace the SGD with prehung french doors that will sit within the opening. There are currently at least 2 layers of flooring that I will eventually demo & install new tile.

What's best practice for High-Wind Hurricane Zone (HWHZ)?

A) Install the new tile first then install the french doors on top of the new tile.
B) Install the french doors to sub-floor and butt new tile up to french doors.

Thanks!

j714.jpg

f3lh.jpg

You will be looking for all the room you can get so having the threashold on the subfloor would be best.

You will be into rebuilding the header and jack stud or special order door.
The SLG is a window so it is framed for the standard window opening.. 72" wide and 80" high
The double door will need to be 75" wide and 82 1/2" high.

Thanks!

So...B) Install the french doors to sub-floor and butt new tile up to french doors.
Right?

Yes as the threashould is seldem attached to the floor, the tile add support against wind, how is the height and width?

Thanks!
First installer told me the opposite "...do the flooring first & then install the door on top".

79"H* x 73"W
*There are 2 layers of flooring currently (Laminate on top of ceramic tile); which I plan to demo at least the laminate & possibly the tile, if necessary. I measured from the subfloor to the top inside the hole.

Thanks!
First installer told me the opposite "...do the flooring first & then install the door on top".

79"H* x 73"W
*There are 2 layers of flooring currently (Laminate on top of ceramic tile); which I plan to demo at least the laminate & possibly the tile, if necessary. I measured from the subfloor to the top inside the hole.
Measure the frame not the door, exterior doors are 82.5"+, outsing can be a little shorter. Any door is framed 2" wider than the door, so a double 36" would be 74" plus the stop that is added between the doors so you would need 75"

Measure the frame not the door, exterior doors are 82.5"+, outsing can be a little shorter. Any door is framed 2" wider than the door, so a double 36" would be 74" plus the stop that is added between the doors so you would need 75"
Thanks! Not sure if I did this right but I didn't measure the old door and I don't have a new door yet so I measured inside the "hole" that I intend to install the new door into.

That could be problem with a block house, If you pull off some paneling do you get to see the framing or is there drywall there?

I have not pulled off paneling inside the hole yet BUT I have done so in at least 3 other areas of paneling in the same room, which showed no drywall just block & fearing strips to nail the paneling to. I'm assuming, I'll find the same thing, when I remove the paneling inside the hole...but at this point it's just that...an assumption.

Hopefully the house was built for the french doors but it may have been built for the patio door which wood be 80x 72 and you will be looking at special order doors. $$

Back