DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > securing pt 2x4's to a brick wall

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM  
yjyankee

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default securing pt 2x4's to a brick wall

Good morning-

I'm planning on building a vent hood above my outdoor grill. The wall behind the grill is brick. I'm assuming I use pressure treated 2x4's for the framing. I have cypress for the outer shell of the hood.

As for securing it to the brick wall, would I use tapcon screws, or some sort of anchor screw? I was also thinking of supporting the weight of the hood by connecting it to the ceiling above w/ more 2x6's inside the attic.

Thanks in advance.

I can post pictures if needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you want any suggestions, you will have to show the situation (PHOTOS) instead of giving a description of the many things you see and could be done.

Dick

Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM  
yjyankee

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, here's an old picture. The hood will be about 32" above the grill, and just a simple box type frame.
[/URL]

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 965 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Your plan will work fine with anchor bolts, they are rated for weight so if find that and use enough to carry the weight of the hood
I would sooner see it built out of metal, you are going 32" but there is always a chance of fire.
How will you be venting the hood?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM  
yjyankee

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As luck would have it, I ran into the guy that did my cabinets inside the house. I never even thought of this guy for this project. He's going to give me an estimate. Initially, I asked for his opinion. He said Tapcons in the brick would work fine, and also suggested securing it through the ceiling as well. I was glad I was at least on the right track! Now to go find a hammer drill.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM  
yjyankee

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, the bottom, or inside of the hood will have a stainless liner around it. Also, I'll be venting this straight up, through the roof.

Quick Reply