DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Is there a maximum R value for insulating

Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 PM  
jjohnston

Default Is there a maximum R value for insulating

I have been looking around. I see that code for my area requires an R of 49 for ceiling and 19 for walls. I am just curious. Is there a maximum? If I have an R49 currently, could I bump it to R80, or R100? or is R60 really as high as you want to go?

And if there is a max, what is the reason? would it cause to much moisture, etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 925 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

You have to look at cost benifit and keep in mind a really good double glased window will have an R value of 5 or 6 if you are lucky.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 AM  
Perry525

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Maximum insulation.

It rather depends on where you live.
In the very coldest places 10 inches of polystyrene, more than that and you cannot measure any improvement.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 AM  
nunyabiz1

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally I think building codes are a total joke.

No outside wall IMO should ever be 6 freaking inches thick, every outer wall should be at least 12" thick and minimum R30+ as far as I am concerned.
Attic insulation IMO should be no less than R80.

"code" where I live which is in NC and in Climate Zone 4 is R15 for walls and R38 for Attic.
Sadly nothing I can do about my walls because like everyone else they are paper thin and frankly I seriously doubt actually have R15, my bet is R10 when it was built in 1984 and now that cheap fiber board insulation I am sure is less than R10.
My attic originally "was" R38 blown in pink manure but after squirrels got in there and stomped it all down and just age my bet is about R20.
A few years ago I added R38 "EcoBatt" on top of what is probably about R20 old insulation for something close to R60 in my attic which to me is absolutely dead minimum.
http://www.ecobatt.us/eco_batt.html

Made a big difference in how our upstairs bedroom felt in the Summer, the AC ran A LOT less and just felt more comfortable.

The more insulated the house, the less it cost to heat and cool, the quieter it is inside.
Building code should be DOUBLE+ what it currently is IMO.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:53 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 498 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Nunya, you have to remember, codes are a minimum requirement. Nothing says you can't exceed code.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 PM  
nunyabiz1

Yep, but what percentage of builders "exceed" any code of any kind?

I would say roughly about 2% at best.

If you are designing and having a house built from scratch thats a bit different but even then I bet 90% of everyone sticks pretty close to code.

IF code were DOUBLE what it is now then all houses would be far more efficient AND the cost would be minimal because EVERYBODY would be doing it thus material cost would reflect the demand for the different sizes needed and become standard.

It is pretty rare to see a house that has 12"+ thick walls, there are some "Green" designs that do and they are usually small houses less than 1200sq/ft and set up for Solar power.

Personally I believe that all new homes should be built with Solar Panels, 1 small Wind Turbine, a Hydrogen Electrolyzer a system to collect rainwater for it & 1000 gallon tank like a propane tank to hold the Hydrogen so you can use it to run your car, lawn mower, other vehicles & equipment and some appliances.
This way everyone could be energy self reliant but still be connected to a grid so that excess energy can be stored and shared.
If this were code then it would add very minimal cost to a new home, would easily pay for itself in no time because your electric bill and gas bill would be virtually non existent.
That would save the average homeowner probably between $4000-$6000+ every year.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 498 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Do you think govt and the energy companies would ever allow that to happen. Look at all the lost tax revenue the would occur. It's not about energy efficiency or independence, it's about money and who gets to keep it.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Just personal opinions based of fictitious "R-value" numbers. Codes are just minimums that can be written for simplistic enforcement. The only people happy are the "pink panther" and similar companies.

Anybody with a bit of common sense can recognize the folly of excess when it comes to trying to be proper.

You can always follow the same simplistic logic and over-do the insulation. You will reach the point of diminishing returns economically and possibly create some very troublesome effects with moisture and air quality.

The "green" approaches are very entertaining and remind me of a scientist that is turned loose with a big, thick catalog that has a lot of great products and then tries to make them work together in a practical manner.

$6000/year savings per month like a $500/month and paying for the excess on a practical amortization schedule.

There are some basic things to do using traditional materials and methods, but using them to their and your advantage.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 PM  
nunyabiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Do you think govt and the energy companies would ever allow that to happen. Look at all the lost tax revenue the would occur. It's not about energy efficiency or independence, it's about money and who gets to keep it.
Sadly this is true

Old 11-04-2014, 05:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 925 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

Want a warm house, board up the windows.

Quick Reply