Weird land survey

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paranoid? Here's a checklist
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/paranoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/
but it does depend on the environment. E.g., in combat the paranoid mindset can save your life.

My home improvement license exam book told me that a contract means an adversarial relationship. And speaking of combat, I've heard that commerce is sublimated warfare, a socially acceptable version of warfare, just like doing surgery or being a prize fighter is a socially acceptable way to hurt people.

Get an affidavit from each surveyor.
Even politicians will run before they will go under oath. I know of only one exception. :D

Last edited:
If the surveys are coming back and don't agree. it is time to go the city and have the resolve the issue. They can do it and you and your other people pay the bill but then it is done, win lose or draw.

Locally, two powerful people in a very rich neighborhood [1/5 in that place made more than $200K/yr] got into a dispute about property. Each had done questionable things.

Apparently the law literally required one house to be moved about 4".

Well, the county wet their pants. It was pathetic. I never found out how it was resolved.

The city and cops want nothing to do with these issue. Everyone does the same thing, tries to get the city to do the survey and solve the problem. They are well aware of the problem.

I paid my 'bill' today, $980. They said i get my 50 feet which mean bye bye neighbors driveway. But there are tricky, i'll bet they are lying, those surveyor. Oh well either way i and had to spend the money to find out one way or another. Bit of my problem being cheap too. If it works out the neighbor will have to move their shed and fence and loss their driveway. It is gonna be crazy, i might be murder by their relatives. This is what they told me now the surveyors. Dam if they are lying they will just say you didn't pay your bill, we can't make people happy. That would be dishonest and wrong of them wouldn't it? I can feel it already i'm gonna get burned.

But i can complain to their government body. If they are lying i can get my money back i think. Because it means they could be lying about the survey results as well. It is just unethical, isn't it?

This small town feels so corrupt, people are always lying. There is only 2 surveyor in the area and other surveyor don't want to drive 1-2 hour to get here. This is why it is hard to trust them. But what can i do, it is already too much of head waste.

Can you believe the lawyer who wrote up 57 feet in 2000 made a mistake? misread 0 for 6. This is why they told me today. I wonder if i can find this lawyer now? This Stan and neighbor had a deed amendment paid money etc. It is lost now because of that. Must be something to do...?

Last edited:
Did you buy this property because you love the area and want to raise your family there? If not, do the dirty work, raise the property value enough to make some money on the deal,..... and move.

This guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman
says all of us lie all the time so one distinction is "lying for material gain."

Mixing lies with truth works, that's why car dealers do it.

Be careful if they try to provoke you; in that case they want you to do something irrational and hopefully illegal and hopefully criminal.

Last edited:
Ya lately i think i put too much money and too much work in the house. Too many things wrong with it.
Paid $110
spend $30
Value $180-200

Probably easier ways to make $40k. I did get free rent that is another $20k, and the money is tax free. Might sell in a year or two. It's an hour away from the city, we got 2 big lakes near by with beaches. Winter and spring are the worst up here. So much snow, it is like a part time job shoveling it away. Definitely will be getting out for 3-4 months this winter, probably after that i will see the place more positively. You American have it so much easier. You can live so many different climates and don't worry so much about building permits. Not to mention your RE is much cheaper.

You can see why i'm not happy with the neighbors survey. Not only did i not get 7 feet, if i just negotiated with the old guy we could have agree, i would have got another foot just because it should be at the bottom of the slope. Instead he paid $2500 for that extra foot. Look at his house for crist stake, it is worse than mine was, has bird living in the attic. On top of that he is half senile and can hardly get around, someone comes and brings him food once a month. Whole town is filled with retires on their last nickles. Taxes are $2200 a year, not exactly cheap.

ABC_1433.jpg

Last edited:
On top of that he is half senile and can hardly get around,

When I see geezers I try to figure out which one I will become. And I guess some of them look at me and say, "That was me, once."

Neglecting costs and fees at each end, houses here appreciate 5%/year.

Let's say you bought for $110K and you make 5% (.05) simple interest per year.
After two years you'd get (1 + .05)^2= 1.10, so times $110K = $121K.

The inverse: Let's say you bought for $110K and you sell after two years for $200K.
X^2 = 200/110 = 1.82 so 1.82^(1/2) = X = 1.35, 1.35 - 1 = 0.35 = 35% simple interest per year, a great profit if the market holds up.

Your spreadsheet or the Internet can figure fractional exponents, or simple or compound interest. Also, look up "the rule of 72".

Last edited:
Yup this house was a bit of experiment. If someone had written down on piece of paper everything that is wrong with it i would have run away. On the other hand i think it was great experience, i would have have never dreamed i would be learning to fix so many things. If i had loan it won't have been so fun.

It is nice area in summer for sure. People do move up here but slowly. There is small university, lots of lakes, too many skids. As long as you don't talk to any locals you are fine.

This house is slowly getting transformed and restored. Consider that i got it for almost half price, you won't get that much off a house in the city. I learned a lot, i just need a long break away in the winter as i used to do then i'll be right as rain again.
The survey is finally complete. They must of thought i was some flipper because they could have just complete it and i would have certainly paid for this. How could i not?
First photos is called 'bye bye driveway" and second is called "but, but, but...." Now there is proper survey the city will take action and order the shed taken down. I am still diggin, so i will hold off. Who knows maybe they will grow-up? I've got the skid steer coming maybe they will let me take the concrete pad out. It will be expensive if the city does it.

ABC_1464.jpg

ABC_1467.jpg

ABC_1471.jpg

ABC_1469.jpg

Last edited:
Back