How to seal concrete wall to prevent basement leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alibrand

Reaction score
We just got our house about 2 months ago. I Have a faucet in my garage, which has a poured concrete floor, adjacent to a poured concrete wall that is an interior wall in my basement. We were just shutting off the water and clearing out the pipes for winter, when we noted that the water that fell on the floor of the garage appeared to leak down into the basement. You can see the picture of the damp spot in the basement insulation. I've cut open the insulation to let it dry and will tuck tape it afterwards.

What product would you recommend to seal the edge of the garage floor to keep this from happening in the future?

image-559140952.jpg

image-2955363782.jpg

image-886725181.jpg

Welcome to the site. This a fairly common thing. The out side walls should be water proofed up to dirt line and in the garage if they do it at all they stop just below the floor hight and never concider the tap is there and water could get to the wall. The easyest is to place a square plastic tub on the floor below the tap and get a scrap of vinyl flooring and staple that to the wall so it directs any water to the tub. The tub and vinyl ussualy go in after 2 or 3 trys at water proofing it.

nealtw said:
Welcome to the site. This a fairly common thing. The out side walls should be water proofed up to dirt line and in the garage if they do it at all they stop just below the floor hight and never concider the tap is there and water could get to the wall. The easyest is to place a square plastic tub on the floor below the tap and get a scrap of vinyl flooring and staple that to the wall so it directs any water to the tub. The tub and vinyl ussualy go in after 2 or 3 trys at water proofing it.

Thank you for the information. That sounds pretty easy to do. Dry basement, here I come!

Latest posts

Back