DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > How long after raining should I paint?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM  
Jfro

Default How long after raining should I paint?

It's been raining and I've always been told not to paint after it rains because it won't set properly.

How long should I wait after it rains?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM  
Schmidt & Co.

The time it takes your substrate to dry all depends on the temp and relative humidity. A warm, sunny and dry 90 degree dry day will dry out the surface much faster that a overcast 55 degree day.

Either way, I never pay attention to TIME. I always use a moisture meter to test before painting. You must be under 15% moisture content to paint. Same goes for painting new wood on interiors. You should be able to get an inexpensive one at any good paint store starting at around $40.00

Paul

Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM  
imported_Workaholic

With oil as soon as it stops, with latex as soon as it is dry,

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the weather forecast for the day calls for dry conditions and warming temperatures, you can begin painting early in the morning and the paint will still have time to dry, assuming the relative humidity, temperature, and dew point are within the recommended range. Don't paint above 88 degrees F, 85% relative humidity, or when the temperature is less than 5 degrees F above the dew point. To be safe, don't paint latexes below 50 degrees F and oils below 40 degrees F unless you have a paint specially formulated for colder weather conditions. Painting too close to the dew point or at higher than recommended relative humidity can cause bonding problems. You may not notice the problem until the next time the house is washed to remove mildew, at which time the paint will debond in strips from the water pressure. Painting at too hot a temperature can cause blistering of the paint due to the high vapor pressure of resins escaping the paint film before it can properly dry.

Quick Reply