DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > How do i know when my house needs painting?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 166 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default How do i know when my house needs painting?

So my house is stucco but my trim is wood. The wood is looking like it needs to be gone through but how do I know if I have colored stucco or if it is just paint? It seems to be in good shape and don't want to paint it if it is colored stucco because then I will have to keep doing it for ever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look at the bottom edge very closely. Sometimes you can see an unpainted edge at the bottom. If this is not sufficient, check around any fixtures or fasteners. You may have to remove them in order to properly determine whether the stucco is painted, but this should do the trick.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

I have determined the stucco is colored except on a few trim like parts the definitly have paint on them. I think I will repaint those and also my eve's to match. My house color is an off white so I will need to find something that will match that and also go with all the natural wood I have in the back yard.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM  
Shane231
Banned

Yes, that is the best thing to do.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 PM  
imported_Rusty
Lifetime Supporting Member
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Is that the way you do it in Sri Lanka?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 AM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

The best way to determine if stucco is painted or not is by getting it wet. just get a cup of water splash it on the wall or grab a hose and wet a area. if the color darkens and absorbs the water it is raw stucco, if ithe color doesn't change and the water beads or slides down the wall, it has been painted. Even I have to do this test sometimes as it can be fooling to a inexperienced eye. I've had to prove to homeowners that it was raw stucco because other painters told them it was painted.

Raw stucco doesn't need painting it is more cosmetic than anything, however there are a few cases that stucco does need painting so it is a case by case. Most likely it doesnt need painting it.

Note, once you paint stucco you should repaint every 5 years as a maintenance.

Woodwork should be painted every 5 to 8 years, if the wood is starting to split or twist and paint is peeling it is a indicator your waiting to long. its best to paint before it gets bad, less prep means less labor, less labor means less money.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Gabe Ewing[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[URL=" http://ewingpaintingblogandreviews.net/"]Ewing Painting Blog and Reviews[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ewingpainting.net/"]Ewing Painting inc[/URL]

Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Yeah I get it wet and it soaks it up like a sponge so I am assuming it is colored. I don't want to paint that part because it will lock me into repainting all the time. I do have a couple cracks in the stucco in the back yard but I was planning on just grouting them with a grout that matches.

My eves are not that bad, nothing is splitting or twisting or peeling. I just want to attack the problem before it takes me a week of prep.

Do I need to prime my eves or can I just add another coat of paint? Also my grandfather swears by using TSP to clean it all first, does that help?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

Priming is only needed for raw, chalky or stained surfaces. You probably do not have any of these. Sounds like you have a typical Calif stucco home with wood eaves and fascia board.

tsp is over kill and can be a problem if some residue is left on the surface as it can make the coating peel and lift, like if your painting over a chalky surface. Just rinse or better yet power wash all wood and stucco, scrape lose or peeling paint, caulk all open areas and paint

Just a good quality 100% acrylic flat paint, one coat is good (if tje color covers in one), two coats is better. since you are in California I can recommend Vista Paint Duratone, which is equivalent to Sherwin Williams Superpaint.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Gabe Ewing[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[URL=" http://ewingpaintingblogandreviews.net/"]Ewing Painting Blog and Reviews[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ewingpainting.net/"]Ewing Painting inc[/URL]

Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Is an eggshell or semigloss going last any longer then a flat paint?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is an eggshell or semigloss going last any longer then a flat paint?
Yes.

I do not deal with much stucco mostly brick and siding in my parts but a flat lacks in sheen and the flat will typically fade quicker and chalk faster. A paint like egg, satin, semi also allows the water to bead up and roll off better than a flat product will.

Quick Reply