DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Painting kitchen cabinets.




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM  
regalpaints
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Default

I just moved into an apartment and i'm about to repaint the kitchen cabinets. However when I went to wipe them down with some soap and water before priming them, the old paint started to peel right off. Should I just not wash them and go right to priming and painting?


__________________
[URL=http://www.regalpaints.co.uk/floor-paint/]Floor Paint[/url]
regalpaints is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 173
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalpaints View Post
I just moved into an apartment and i'm about to repaint the kitchen cabinets. However when I went to wipe them down with some soap and water before priming them, the old paint started to peel right off. Should I just not wash them and go right to priming and painting?
ahh, NO


chrisn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM  
imported_Workaholic
Senior Member
 
imported_Workaholic's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It seems to be very close to just a flat paint some cheap stain and a cheap clear coat.

That is probably what it is and for a non painter I give the product a thumbs up but I have done the same for a fraction of the cost.
As I said in a few posts somewhere on this product I made it look good but I could of achieved equal or better results with some paint, faux glaze and a nice clear. I also think this product greatly depends upon the selected color.

Strip the stuff off and start over you will be down x amount of labor and a couple hundred bucks.
imported_Workaholic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM  
elaineturner
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalpaints View Post
I just moved into an apartment and i'm about to repaint the kitchen cabinets. However when I went to wipe them down with some soap and water before priming them, the old paint started to peel right off. Should I just not wash them and go right to priming and painting?
I think its better to wash them and remove the old paint completely
elaineturner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
Chris's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: , Southern California
Posts: 2,066
Liked 335 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
As I said in a few posts somewhere on this product I made it look good but I could of achieved equal or better results with some paint, faux glaze and a nice clear. I also think this product greatly depends upon the selected color.

Strip the stuff off and start over you will be down x amount of labor and a couple hundred bucks.
They turned out ok for what it is. The other half loves them so i guess that is all that matters. The part I didn't like was that the clear coat if left thick at all it would dry white.
Chris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM  
imported_Workaholic
Senior Member
 
imported_Workaholic's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They turned out ok for what it is. The other half loves them so i guess that is all that matters. The part I didn't like was that the clear coat if left thick at all it would dry white.
Let me know how long it holds up as that has been a concern in the back of my mind for awhile now.
imported_Workaholic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
Chris's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: , Southern California
Posts: 2,066
Liked 335 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

I am not impressed with that at all. I have a slide in and out trash can in a cabinet and it already has several chip and scratch marks from finger nails. I prepped them exactly how they say.
Chris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM  
imported_Workaholic
Senior Member
 
imported_Workaholic's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am not impressed with that at all. I have a slide in and out trash can in a cabinet and it already has several chip and scratch marks from finger nails. I prepped them exactly how they say.
I did it for a customer that bought the stuff cause his son worked at the HD and I gave no warranty as I never used it before and he passed on my other suggestions. Of course he has never called either but he could be cussing me out all over town for all I know.

If you are unsatisfied strip or sand it off and restain or repaint would be my suggestion.
imported_Workaholic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
Chris's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: , Southern California
Posts: 2,066
Liked 335 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

I would like to strip and re-stain them instead of painting. I will give it a year or so and see how they look and then hint to the little lady about stain and how much better the wood grain looks instead of paint.


Chris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Newest Threads

hey

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS