DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > walls weren't prepped.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM  
anon

Default walls weren't prepped.

We had a contractor sand down stringers on the stairs for a staircase that's being redone, and the resulting dust coated the walls and baseboards around the house. A painter came in and DID NOT clean or wipe down the walls and baseboards, and just painted over the dusty walls and baseboards with the Dunn Edwards paint we had chosen.

It looks fine now, of course, since it's freshly painted, but since the walls were not prepped, and they needed to be from the sanded dust, about how long until the new paint starts to peel from not adhering to dirty walls?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM  
Schmidt & Co.

It's going to be hard to tell how it will hold up over time. But there is an industry standard adhesion test you can do.

Take a utility knife and cut an "x" into a wall, making sure to cut through the paint. Put a piece of masking tape over your cut, then quickly rip it off. A coating with proper adhesion should have minimal paint sticking to the tape. If you have sheets of paint stuck to it, well then you have problems.

Paul

Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Yep do an adhesion test as Paul suggested. Shame the contractor did not do a great clean up job and a shame as well a professional would paint over the dust. Is the surface rough? You got a picture of this?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM  
DeniseC

I had a bedroom painted 3 days ago. There was a damaged part on the existing paint so the person who painted the room covered it with "mud" as he called it. Something looking like plaster. It was thick and had little holes in it (like a texture) etc. I asked if he would sand it down to make it even and smooth he said yes. But now the wall is painted over it w/o sanding. You can tell that part is thicker when you walk in the room. I hate patching paint on the walls. How can I make this right? Is it possible to sand it with 3 day old paint on it? If I did that and painted that part over would it look different than the rest of the wall? Should I paint the whole wall? (Paint used is a water based sherwin williams)

Quick Reply