DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Wall Coverings > Painting wood- HELP!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM  
ATF1978

Default Painting wood- HELP!

We recently bought a home and are in the process of decorating. Our great room has a LOT of wood as you can see by the attached picture and the bottom portion of the wall has a darker wood that goes around the whole room. My husband and I feel that if we lighten that wood color, it will make the room a lot brighter. Looking for professional opinions on what to do. I know once we paint it, if that's the road we go down, there's no turning back! Thoughts?

IMG_0098.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM  
R2P

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF1978 View Post
We recently bought a home and are in the process of decorating. Our great room has a LOT of wood as you can see by the attached picture and the bottom portion of the wall has a darker wood that goes around the whole room. My husband and I feel that if we lighten that wood color, it will make the room a lot brighter. Looking for professional opinions on what to do. I know once we paint it, if that's the road we go down, there's no turning back! Thoughts?

I will tell you the same as I tell any one of my customers... Colors choices are an opinion. You may ask ten people and get ten different answers. Lighter colors normally make a room appear larger and darker colors tend to close them in. In your rooms case, I do not believe that it would appear any larger because the dark area is so low.

I personally like the look as it sits and would not change it for two reasons. The lower area you are talking about is mostly covered by furniture and in my opinion would not make to much difference in brightening the room and second, I think you would take the pop out of your already beautiful room.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM  
ATF1978

Thank you! Just what I needed to hear!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I had a similar problem with an extremely dark room. I removed half of the walls and painted them a lighter color, and am now satisfied with it. Of course, I considered eliminating all of the oak walls and/or painting them white, but just couldn't do it, especially with several hundred dollars of red oak crown molding around the entire room. I posted before and after pics to show what I am writing about.

IMG_20110622_134449.jpg   1311205074297.jpg  

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM  
ATF1978

That looks amazing! Great job! So that's basically what my room looks like now.. thinking I might just keep it as is..
Thanks for your input!!

Quick Reply