Originally Posted by savatreatabvr
Well when I flipped on the main breaker the circuit that had the original flakey breaker tripped! I flipped it on again and heard something POP in the house,
You cleared a short in the kitchen wall wiring by melting it with the second pulse of energy you whacked it with. A 'bolted short circuit' would have kept tripping the breaker.
If there is a GFCI upstream of the short its contacts are ruined.
I've used this over-current technique to melt shorts located somewhere on wire-wrapped circuit boards. The wire melts at 10A and I used a 5v source that could supply 30A.
The problem with this is that the gap that melts can be very small and so it can come back as an intermittent short.
Same with yours.
Open circuits are easier to find than short circuits. Have at it!
Another possibility is a short downstream of a flaky wirenut connection. Both held during the first pulse and the wirenut opened on the second pulse. After you fix the wirenut you still have to find the short.