DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Living Vicariously through you

Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 AM  
MOLSON

Default Living Vicariously through you

Hello all,

I recently did something bad, I sold off all my Stationary power tools and converted my 14 x 16 woodworking shop into a playroom for my 2 1/2 year old son.

Since he was born the only free time I had to work in the shop was when he was sleeping. Since my shop was in the basement I couldn't run any power tools without waking him up. Eventually I just gave up, mostly because I couldn't stand just seeing all my power tools just sitting there unused for over 2 years.

So, it's been almost 4 months since the playroom has been in existence and he loves it. But I am really missing the tools. So, I joined this group so I can at least feel like I am doing something.

As for my background. I actually went to college for Wood Products Technology at SUNY Morrisville. I spend several summers working for a general contractor. I worked at a custom cabinet shop; I also worked for a custom Window and Door shop.

Currently I am working in the computer field as a Software Quality Assurance analyst. Big jump, I Know, but I got tired of always scrounging for money and never getting benefits like medical and such. So I got a crash course on computers from one of my friends and it took off from there. A lot of what I do in my current job is to write Scripts/Programs. I must say that the feeling I get from creating a nice program that does exactly what you wanted and just looks good gives me the same feeling as when I would finish a woodworking project.

Well,
I'll be reading a lot and hopefully will be chiming in as much as possible to help out others that have the time for projects.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Forum, Mike:
I think giving up the shop for the 2-1/2 year-old is the right thing to do. Just think, in 15-1/2 years he will be an adult and you won't have another chance to spoil him; he'll be military age along with a host of other things. Love and care for him while you can.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply