Question about smoke dectectors??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cut_un

Reaction score
A friend recently got a "hard wired" ele smoke dectector,with a battary back-up. She is wanting it installed in her older trailer/mobel home. Wondering if it can be installed using the battary back,only as the power soarce ( not having the ele. wired up). In thinking about it ,see no reason if would not work ...What do you guys think??

That I don’t know but for what they cost I would return it and just get a battery only unit, unless it said in the directions it could be used that way.

Most batteries that are intended to be charged and used as backup are a different type and have a shorter life cycle but can be recharged many times. You may find the battery will go quite fast and replacement or recharging will be an issue.

Then again that’s just my thoughts I haven’t looked into it in depth.

Good point about the battery recharge.... Had not given that angle any thought. Agree, maybe the best bet would be to simply swap it out for a battery only dectector! Thanks for you view!

She does have a couple in the trailer already but is setting up a spare bedroom for a couple grandkids when the stay over....Was wanting to put one in that room also. Guessing the battery unit will be the easiest way to go......

Back