What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I woke up this morning and at 5:30 this is what I saw -14.6 F I took the dog for a walk very short I might add and it was -15 F. My indoor outdoor is only hung a few inches away from the siding so most cases it’s about one degree warmer. Starting my 2000 GMC 2500 with a quarter million miles on it was a testament to GMC as it spun over and lit right up. Even with the plow on and up I drove 30 minutes before I felt a hint of heat coming out of the dash and it normally drives you out. I got to work and looked for the official temperature and they showed it was still dropping at 7:00 and was at -20 F. now that’s getting a little cold for even me. I feel a little bad sitting in a warm office as my girlfriend just texted from her job milking cows saying the cows are a little slow getting moving today.

I wonder if I’m doing any damage to my deck walking on it this morning as each step sounded like shot gun rounds going off.

:help:

Last edited:
25* in Music City this morning. Not much of a breeze, but the TV weather man is having a heart attack about the storm south of us going through Georgia. We might get a dusting with probably freezing rain...it's winter folks.

As far as the deck, you'll be ok. If not, sounds like a good DIY come spring.

(and shame on you for not helping milk the cows this morning...:p )

25* in Music City this morning. Not much of a breeze, but the TV weather man is having a heart attack about the storm south of us going through Georgia. We might get a dusting with probably freezing rain...it's winter folks.

As far as the deck, you'll be ok. If not, sounds like a good DIY come spring.

(and shame on you for not helping milk the cows this morning...:p )

Haha she looked like Nanook of the North when she left with 15 layers of clothes on. She works now for an old farmer named Ron in his 80’s and they had the radio on and they reported the temp at +3 F and she said he ran to the phone and called them and chewed them out saying it was -21 F and in so many farm words told them to get their heads out of their butts. She told me 5 minutes later the DJ came on and said we have a live call in with an updated weather report and played his call. That call might just get played a lot in the future.

As to me helping, the only thing that would do is make the job go twice as long. On a day like today they would give me a sledge hammer and tell me to go water the cows.

If this global warming keeps up you're going to freeze to death. We seldom get more than a few days below 32 and rarely get 0*F on the coast.

Pigs are pigs, there born with a passport, you can have my share of the curds. They want to make poutine a national food, I haven't tryed that yet.

I didn't take Canadian when I was in school. ...;)

It’s easy you just put an A after each word. For example when they named their country they wanted a catchy name like USA so they drew letters out of a box to pick the name it was a big celebration.

They drew the first letter and proclaimed Ca the second Na and the third Da and came up with CaNaDa.
:beer:

They drew the first letter and proclaimed Ca the second Na and the third Da and came up with CaNaDa.

I am going to use that one.:banana:

Well that's one thing you won't hear down here. " Hey Bobby Joe, me and Jimmy BoBob was over at the Fat Pig BBQ and had us a big ol bowl of poutine. That there's some mighty fine eatin."

Talk like that down south will get you turned into a gelding in a skinny minute.

It's a chilly 44 here this morning. I might have to wear a sweatshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I am going to use that one.:banana:

Feel free to add it to your repertoire. :usa:

We have Garbage Fries so give your Poutine a try. Anytime you can get 4 or more things that are bad for you in the same dish it has to be yummy.

Weather alert it’s come up 28 degrees in the last 3 hours. Now that’s global warming.

We had a nice balmy 16F this morning, breaking a string of 17 consecutive days since will not down below zero before midnight. We just got snow of 0.4" that meant nothing and not like the ice and snow problems in the SE part of the U.S.

We have been protected by the polar cold and not really appreciable snow or ice since keeping below zero even for highs lead to the "winter blahs" were there are no real problems except black ice in the morning since the main roads and streets are bare. - Now we may be entering the warming & melting season that is more challenging to live with. I had my SUV washed 2 weeks ago and it is still spotless and there are no droppings on the floor. I will take "crunchy" snow to warmer snow.

The lake golfing on the ice is doing well, but usually carts and cars are not allowed even with good ice.

Dick

It was 19 degrees colder at my house this morning than in the town southeast of me called Blue Balls Pennsylvania. I think we should look into this town naming stuff.

I knew it was going to be cold out when I woke up this morning and the bedroom was about 78 degrees. It’s a second floor bedroom that has a heat duct that comes straight up and then has an old time flip door into two back to back bedrooms, one closed. The staircase leading up has a door we keep closed to avoid heating a lot of the upstairs we don’t use. The upstairs bath has a similar one sided duct door that I keep just cracked and that room stays nice. The problem is when it’s around 32 F the heat cycles at some rate based around the downstairs thermostat set at 65 F but when it gets super cold it cycles more and overheats the bedroom I’m finding. It’s hard to close the register when you know it’s going subzero at bedtime but that’s what’s needed it seems. I will have to see if I can come up with something high tech on the forced air to not waste heat in the bedrooms. For some reason it seems that it should be proportional but it isn’t. Keeping the downstairs at 65 when it is 40 outside the furnace cycles so little the bedroom stays very cool and when subzero it overheats. Maybe this is a project for Wuz to analyze.

Back