DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Help with live-in fixer upper

Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM  
BandAidHome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with live-in fixer upper

Im a first time home owner that unknowingly bought a fixer upper. Well the band-aids are now starting to peel off and issues are popping up that are not minor. Most of the things could probably be done with guidance or help, I do know my way around simple home repairs. Main issue is money for the materials or the over all project if it is to big for a DIY.

So my main question is this, are there any national or state level grants or extremely low interest type loans for home renovation?

Any guidance would be welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

Welcome,,, What state are you in?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM  
BandAidHome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks! I just realized I did no introduction post.
I am in Louisiana.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I just did a quick search on google, maybe you find something that will work for you.
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=...+house+fix+ups

Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 AM  
BandAidHome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah that's the same stuff I found. Thanks for the input. Looks like it will have to be good old fashioned saving and some diy work to save on costs.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am always in lowes or home depot so I keep my eye out for deals. Many times I will find deals 75% off or more. It is totally hit or miss though

Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Energy savings help can sometimes be provided by local gas & electric utilities. Check Habitat for Humanity shop for low cost supplies. Use recycled/reclaimed materials (y'all got a lot of storm damaged houses being stripped).

As for labor and expertise, have you got contacts at church? There are always retired guys with tools and skills willing to help.

Prioritize your projects, starting with importance and cost. Keep it to the essentials ... save glamor for later. Concentrate on getting resources together for your top priorities first.

Take advantage of this web site for advice and guidance. A lot of good people here with a "halper" attitude.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Everything Villa said was right on. List your problems here so we can talk or argue about what should be done first to last.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Callmevilla is right; you definitely need to get a good list together and prioritize your projects. In my mind, nothing sucks more than to rip out work I recently did in order to fix the next thing. Maybe invest in a reliable home inspector to help you find all the problems. Concentrate on structural things first.

I recently discovered a Restore (Habitat for humanities) near me.It's amazing the treasures that can be found there. Windows, doors, kitchen cabinets etc. And you'd be helping Habitat to fund their projects.

Last edited by slownsteady; 03-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM  
BandAidHome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow I honestly didn't expect to get this much feed back or offers to help!
Thank you all in advance!
I guess I should start from the beginning with this house.
First off I dont have a regular church to attend with my family her locally. My main pool of experience is from my reserve unit personnel. The problem comes with finding people that are near me.
Anyways on to the house.
From what I have been told by neighbors who have lived on the street all their lives, this house was built in the late 20s early 30s. It still has all the old Knob/Tube wiring with some jury rigged in new stuff here there. The house has spent most of its life as a rental. The kitchen was extended out the back of the house, central air and heat was added to the house. Also the fire place was converted I think from an old coal stove to the gas that it has now. It is super small, from all the reading I have done on it points to that conclusion. The water heater was moved outside into a little shack thing that I recently had to have rebuilt when the water heater was replaced. Vinyl siding was added to the home some time in the 80s from what I was told as were the windows. The roof was supposedly done a couple years before I bought the place. The bad thing is all of those things listed above were all done with no regard to quality or they are simply way beyond time for replacement. I have no idea how long new windows and siding should last on a house nor shingles. Some of the siding slides down during bad storms, the roof leaks sometimes during bad storms so i have some drywall ceiling that needs replacing inside. A friend and I ripped out the old cast iron tub as well as a window that was installed at waist level in the bathroom. We installed a new surround and tub as well as floor under the tub. There was a lot of rot around the window and under the tub. I think one of the major reasons rot and water issues are so bad is that the house has no eves at all and only a couple storm drains that sag though i have cleaned them and added more screws to help hold them up. I can upload pictures links if anyone would like better reference to the mess that is this house.

Again thank you in advance to all for any specific tips or where to start with all of this. Oh also the main breaker panel was upgraded and is brand new. It was installed as part of the closing conditions.

Quick Reply