Painting a metal shop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaT

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a 100 year old craftsmen home with a detached metal shop out back. The shop is UGLY. We are currently working on landscaping the backyard so I'm thinking about painting it. I thought it would really look awesome with some sort of verdigris finish, that green that some metal turns as it ages. My thought is to add cottage like trim pieces to the doors and windows on the garden side as well. One side faces the alley in back and has a single modern garage door on it. So there's a lot going on.
I'm just trying to get the building to blend more with an old style landscape; cobblestones,roses, camellias etc. any thoughts or suggestions on how best to achieve this would really be appreciated. Btw, I'm not new to interior painting but exterior painting is something I haven't tackled yet.

Sent from my iPhone MamaT

Welcome to the site.
Can you post a few photos, and is the shed galvinized steel or aluminum. If you not sure, does a magnet stick to the outside.

I will take some pics in the morning. It's made of aluminum.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1394230589.306859.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1394230626.582429.jpg
Here are photos showing almost three sides. The large garage door is out in the alley behind the house. Excuse the mess, we are in the middle of major renovation of the backyard!

My hubby thinks we should just save up and put new siding on the shop. I really want to spend the least amt. possible because we need to paint the exterior of our old home as well. Ahh, so much work so few dollars.

I would be looking to see I could find some panels to replace the damaged ones, add a little more wood work around the roof stucture and paint it up.
The dog is cute..

Hey! two newbies in a single thread...welcome to you both!

Here's a thought; maybe you could fasten some wood panels to the aluminum frame. Something like t-111, thats engineered for outdoor use. Any thoughts from the pros?

Latest posts

Back