DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > HillyBilly special lean to lea to temp wall

Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM  
kevindropboxx

Likes Given: 2

Default HillyBilly special lean to lea to temp wall

My house is a 1940's lean to. It was expanded for more space with additional lean to rooms. The house roof is like a v at one point where the lean to's join.

The kitchen was once a screened in porch and still has the 2x4 framing because it is weight bearing.

Here is a link to a lean to addition that looks like my kitchen.

http://www.hometips.com/wp-content/u...on-diagram.gif

The living room is a lean to in the opposite direction of the kitchen. Where they meet is a V and all of the water from the roof exits there. Now the header and the corner beam are rotten.

I want to build two temporary walls, get rid of the load bearing wall and replace the corner where the wood is rotten. I was thinking I would put in 16' LVL.

My question is how do I build a temporary wall on slanted roofs? Do I affix studs to the rafters with just a bottom plate? Build a wedge of some sort?

I cant get my brain around this construction.

Could I build something like a temporary truss?
Should this be in the wall forum?

Last edited by kevindropboxx; 03-16-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: adding research

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

Welcome to the site. For yopur temp wall place a 2x? plate on the ceiling and the floor cut the top of the stud on the same angle as the roof and nail them in place. If you have the drywall down you could forget the top plate and run the stud right under the rafter and the add a joiner block to the top side of the stud and the side of the rafter, then you know they will stay in place.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 252

I'm having a real hard time picturing your place. I know of a lean-to as a three- sided structure, and your illustration helped a little. Could you post a picture or two??

Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 PM  
kevindropboxx

I have taken some photos. It isn't easy for me to tell what is going on so I took a lot. The original house had a porch i think with a flat roof. Then an additional roof was built over it.

IMG_2406.jpg   IMG_2384.jpg   IMG_2385.jpg   IMG_2386.jpg   IMG_2387.jpg  

IMG_2388.jpg   IMG_2389.jpg   IMG_2392.jpg   IMG_2391.jpg   IMG_2390.jpg  

Last edited by kevindropboxx; 03-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:43 PM  
kevindropboxx

The problem area. At some point a roof was leaking and the corner stud and top plate are rotten. They kept adding wood and nails. There must have been 20 nails in the corner stud. The top plate (I guess its called) for the old porch is rotten too at the end, so the old flat roof is going to fall down I think.

Any advice would be great. !

IMG_2392.jpg   IMG_2394.jpg   IMG_2395.jpg   IMG_2396.jpg   IMG_2397.jpg  

IMG_2401.jpg   Hillbilly Lean to House.jpg  

Last edited by kevindropboxx; 03-22-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Kevin, I don't want to be mean but you haven't got much to work with here. And it looks like you have plenty wrong.
What is the end game here, just fix it up or go after structure to make it right? If it's structure we first have to look at what it is siting on.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM  
kevindropboxx

Thanks Neal for the honesty. I inherited this old lake house and I think it has been sitting here empty for 25 years. The lake is receding.. I can't imagine the property value is going to skyrocket. But, I would hate to put in a kitchen only to find out the foundation is rotten. So foundation it is.

It's a pier and beam.. the beam is two 2x4's. The 2x4's are leaning a bit.

Framing.
If you are looking into the kitchen, on the left the corner stud is what I think is a major problem. It isn't easy to take photos to show you. I believe someone saw that it was rotting and started nailing things to it to keep it together. There were pieces of wood nailed everywhere as a patch. THEN the person built a roof over all of that..

So I know I at least need to replace the stud. The top plate resting on it is rotten in the same corner. I was thinking I would make two temp walls and get rid of the existing framing and replace it with a LVL beam.

The crazy two roof system that is going on and the slanted lean to roof in the living room have me scratching my head.

What a mess! The more I think about it the more confused I get.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:48 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 404 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 130

My first house was an old farm house right up on Lake Erie it was a house built to be a house around 1880. They sold the farm off because of the attraction of the great lake to a lot of people to build their own cabins or cottages or just fishing shacks. They were for summer usage and built without any codes etc. much like your place. Over the years most of them were added to and some became year round homes even but they all suffer from the ground up. People keep pouring more and more cash into them.

To get your place up to code would likely cost more than buying something prefab and setting it on the property. I also know sometimes these old camps hold sentimental value and that is something hard to put a price on. If I had it and wanted to use it as a retreat I would do more of the same and patch it up with what I could find used and still make it a fun safe place. Anything rotted of course has to go and get filled back in at least with new and most likely doubled up. Figure out what is the foundation like Neal suggested and then make sure points of load find their way back to the foundation. After you get it feeling solid close it up, paint it up and enjoy.

edit:
Looking at your photos a little more those two roofs that slope together and run down a valley seem to be a major problem area or one waiting to happen. Do you have any pics from back showing the whole building and those roofs? Did they just tar the heck out of that area or is it rubber or something like that?

Last edited by bud16415; 03-25-2014 at 01:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

What it looks like to me is two small building moved close together and a kitchen built in between.
Are you living in it now and will this be a camp or a home?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 252

The roof (rafters & sheathing) look newer than the stuff underneath. Do you know if that was added recently? Is it keeping things dry now?

Quick Reply