DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Noisy bathroom exhaust

Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 PM  
jsteam

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Noisy bathroom exhaust

I have a question about the noise coming from the bathroom exhaust in a senior citizen apartment complex, I generally do the yard work at one that is close to where I work and at times the nurses ask if I can help with tasks inside the building, 3 or 4 exhaust or vent ducts have louder noise coming from them, while the other bathrooms are much quieter, I took one cover off and all I saw was like a heater duct with no fan, there are two in each bathroom, I assume one is exhaust and one is return, there is one larger square and one that is shaped like a furnace duct in each bathroom. Trying to figure out where the excessive noise is coming from in some and not in other rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 965 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Perhaps they have and inline fan in a pipe somewhere or one fan that services more than one bathroom. Holding a kleenex up to it while it is running should tell you which is exhaust and how well it works, after that you would have to do some detective work.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:33 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts

You'll probably find that it's just an issue of how close the bathrooms are to the main exhaust fan(s). Instead of each unit having it's own small exhaust fan motor you'll have trunk stacks with one or more larger exhaust motors that handle the entire building.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 AM  
jsteam

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok that helps,I will investigate a little farther with the info you guys have give me, thanks.i do know that it seems to be more of a nuisance to those that help clean or assist the elder with showering, the owners don't think it is a big deal, so we shall see how far addressing the situation goes.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM  
amberpeloe

I got the same problem. What solved yours?

"Smooth seas do not make a skillful sailor." [url=https://plus.google.com/105426765025446333864]valuepointdistribution.com[/url]

Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM  
jsteam

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The owners of the facility do not think that the noisy fans are a priority so the ball is in their court and until it gets much worse the problem won't be addressed.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 AM  
woodchuck

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Mine make more and more noise as they age and the motor wears. I've replace three motors over 34 years. I take the motor out and take it to the appliance repair store for another one.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteam View Post
I have a question about the noise coming from the bathroom exhaust in a senior citizen apartment complex
A fan is supposed to make 'white noise' and YouTube will let you hear how this sounds. Other noises mean trouble.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 965 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

I like it when they have them set up in the store yopu you can here how quiet they are.
some times too much noise is caused by exhaust pipe to small or to long or to many bends and elbows. Or even the flapper valve can get stuck closed.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I like it when they have them set up in the store yopu you can here how quiet they are.
It's an interesting question - a bathroom volume may be 300 cubic feet with hard surface sound reflecting walls and the store volume is much more with no reflections.
How many dB difference in apparent loudness can you expect?

Quick Reply