Resurface front cement step

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06Honda

Reaction score
When I purchased this house a few years back there was a crack down the front step. Filled it in and it has held, now my plan is to recoat or resurface it so the patch job I did is not visible and it looks more natural. Not sure where to start as far as what product(s) to use. Is this a job for a cement professional or a fairly easy Do It Yourself project. The rest of the step is just fine, no point in tearing it out to put in a new one. See image for area I am looking to work on. One flat area leading into our house 8 feet by 8 feet.

DSC_8842.jpg

Last edited:
THAT is a really good primer on resurfacing that Neal provided. I did this kind of job on some elevate back stairs and had to build a fully framed set of forms. The Quickrete products are excellent ... but beware they do set up fast in the sunlight so moisture content is crucial.

They glossed over the use of bonding agent from the bottle. I always use it when trying to fix old cement with new. Just remember to let it set up before applying the new Quickrete.

Here is a large surface version to review:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl3bY7Z88k[/ame]

Also, you might consider sealing the finished surface to help repel water. This will retard cracking in the future.

Back