DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > replacing plug fuse

Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 AM  
LeakingFaucet

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default replacing plug fuse

I have a circuit breaker that is fed by a fuse box that is fed by a power line from PG&E. Not sure why the previous homeowner kept the fuse box when installing the circuit breaker, but it's there.

I'm looking to short the fuse box by replacing the plug fuses with shorts. I could run wires to skip the open circuit left by plug fuse socket. But to get something more clean, are there plug fuses that are essentially shorts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Dunno' what's code, but. . .
very high amp fuses would act essentially like a short in your system but they may not fit mechanically, for good reason.

The clearing time curves for fuses are different than the trip time curves for breakers so you are getting additional protection.
On the other hand, the interrupting current rating for these fuses may be inadequate by now because the PoCo may have increased the short circuit current capability for their power grid.

My panel can deliver about 11,000 Amps into a short circuit. It's not difficult to measure with just a wall oven, a 4-1/2 digit voltmeter and a calculator. Houses farther from the pole transformer should see less short circuit current.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 05-25-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 AM  
WyrTwister

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakingFaucet View Post
I have a circuit breaker that is fed by a fuse box that is fed by a power line from PG&E. Not sure why the previous homeowner kept the fuse box when installing the circuit breaker, but it's there.

I'm looking to short the fuse box by replacing the plug fuses with shorts. I could run wires to skip the open circuit left by plug fuse socket. But to get something more clean, are there plug fuses that are essentially shorts?
Are you talking about screw in fuses or the round cylindrical fuses ?

Do you have photos ?

Have you been blowing these fuses , recently ? Is that why you wish to eliminate them ?

If yhey have not been a problem , my advice is to not fix what is not broken .

God bless
Wyr
Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Except if PoCo has increased their short circuit current capability without telling anyone (Why alarm the public, etc., etc., ??) then the fuses may 'explode' instead of 'blowing'.

The one circuit protection company I asked about this said they "don't know what will happen" if the interrupting current rating is exceeded, but I can't imagine that there are that many choices.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 05-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 PM  
LeakingFaucet

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Been a while, but here's my setup. I have a fuse box that feeds the circuit breaker.

setup.jpg  

Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 965 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

The only question is the size of wire between the two boxes. Two reasons he left it there 1. the wires are to small 2. he didn't have to pay for the meter to be pulled. You would expect him to put in fuses that match the wire either way. So I think you might be looking at a bigger problem.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakingFaucet View Post
Been a while, but here's my setup. I have a fuse box that feeds the circuit breaker.
That is a 30 amp fusetron no way it would carry a house. Could this be feeding a water heater or a heat pump? NO WAY would I try to bypass it, think it is time to call in a pro to check things out. Would be a lot cheeper that rebuilding the house!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts

You'll probably find that the fuse box was left to act as a main disconnect. Does your loadcenter that it's feeding have a main or is it just breakers?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I agree with Blue Jay. A 30 amp fuse setup would not even be used in a tiny apartment. I also agree with if you don’t have the understanding of what you have and what you have is working do not crowbar the fuses, rather get someone that can trace out what you have and explain it to you.

In the photo they have everything whited out, I’m not sure what they didn’t want anyone to see. That box above looks like it feeds the fuse box but it’s hard to tell at the angle the photo was taken. Where does the conduit leaving the fuse box go and what is the thing above it. Is that the meter they talked about. Could that meter be a time of day meter maybe controlling just one device like a water heater.

Again DO NOT short out fuses ever. DO NOT put fuses in that are oversized for what is down line. If there truly is a down line breaker off that fuse box the fuses are not hurting a thing IMO.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM  
LeakingFaucet

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I agree with Blue Jay. A 30 amp fuse setup would not even be used in a tiny apartment. I also agree with if you don’t have the understanding of what you have and what you have is working do not crowbar the fuses, rather get someone that can trace out what you have and explain it to you.

In the photo they have everything whited out, I’m not sure what they didn’t want anyone to see. That box above looks like it feeds the fuse box but it’s hard to tell at the angle the photo was taken. Where does the conduit leaving the fuse box go and what is the thing above it. Is that the meter they talked about. Could that meter be a time of day meter maybe controlling just one device like a water heater.

Again DO NOT short out fuses ever. DO NOT put fuses in that are oversized for what is down line. If there truly is a down line breaker off that fuse box the fuses are not hurting a thing IMO.
Pretty sure I have 10 AWG wire coming from the street. Would have to go home and measure the core wire.

I white out the account info. That does you no good.

The line comes from the street, under my lawn, into my garage via a pipe and up to the fuse box that you see. Then it takes a turn and heads towards the exterior wall (the red wire is where it feeds from the fuse box), up the wall, and then down the wall to the circuit breaker you see in the back.

I was told that shorting the fuse box does no harm because any spikes will trip the circuit breaker. In case of a fire (or other emergency where the fire department is coming), they're going to a take an axe through all the switches in the circuit breaker anyhow.

Quick Reply