DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Odd flooring idea - rubber?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM  
WestBentley

Default Odd flooring idea - rubber?

Our laundry closet is just a small space off from the kitchen, the type where you just fit the W/D in with a little room to spare for doors, etc. Since the flooring in the kitchen needs to be replaced, I was wondering about doing something like rubber for just the section in the laundry closet. I figured it could absorb any excess noise (our machines aren't that loud, but are currently on top of carpet, so may be noiser on a hard floor), wouldn't be a problem for stray bits of water, etc.

Anyone done this? Am I nuts or am I on to something? I was looking around thinking it'd work if I found a piece about the right size and just cut in the hole for the dryer vent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Check with an air conditioning contractor; they have 2" x 2" squares of rubber about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. They set heat pumps and a/c compressors on them to dampen the noise. Four of them would quiten the washer down.
Glenn

Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM  
mnp13

If you want to cover the whole floor with it, you can get sheets of rubber matting like they use for dog training and horse stalls. They hold up to just about any abuse you can dish out and will definately keep things quieter!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM  
cibula11

You might also check out a sporting goods store (actually some home improvement stores carry it as well). It is what they use in weightrooms and workout rooms. It comes in rolls...not exactly sure how long...but I would agree with Glenn and go with smaller squares if possible (less waste).

Quick Reply