DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > firepalce in a manufactured house

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM  
dolfan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default firepalce in a manufactured house

I know it is the wrong time of the year for this but just thought of this question. I had to get a new roof put on and went metal. I bought the metal myself. The place that sells it sells other metal items also. If not mistaken they sell thicker metal maybe 1/2 thick. Was wondering if that is "fireproof/heat proof could i put it in my fireplace either in back or all 3 sides would it help heat better? The fireplace sucks and know most do. My parents had a fire place put in by Sears and it was VERY hot and heated great. It had metal on the sides also mine is cement on 3 sides. Thuink the metal would work if it is fireproof etc and not mess my house up or catch it on fire? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 252

My fireplace has a metal firebox (3 sides) and a passive heat-o-later, which is basically a channel on either side, behind the the face. The channels have high & low vents, so the cool air is sucked in and heated as it passes the firebox. I think it works great. I can't tell you too much about the design because it was here before me. The house is about 55 years old and I imagine it is original. At one point a sweep had me concerned about rust-through but it has not been a problem.
One thing to think about: metal may conduct heat better than stone but the the stone (or brick or whatever) makes a great heat sink. If I burn wood for an evening, the stone around the firebox will still be warm the next morning. i think it is all in the design of the complete unit and I can't guess how to retrofit this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply