DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Home CCTV?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM  
katec

Default Home CCTV?

Hey Everyone,

I am planning to hook up a home CCTV system, and I want to run the plan by you all and find out whether or not any of you have undertaken similar plans previously, and if so what advice you may give me.

So - to reduce the downtime I'm planning to use a dedicated router for wireless webcam connections, with one directed on the front street and the other to the back yard. Each will record footage to a Raspberry Pi (one for each camera), which will save the footage to hard drives, as the Pi's don't have great storage and I won't need to keep any of the footage for extended periods of time.

The one directed to the front of the house will be motion activated, recording only while there is motion or motion has been detected within the last 5 minutes. The one directed at the back yard will record constantly and stream live over the internet, allowing me to check on my dogs (who have access to the rear yard during the day) while I am at work.

My current estimation is that this will cost me approximately £130 to set up - which is cheaper than any CCTV systems I have seen, and of course more customisable to my needs.

Would it work the way I want it to if I set it up this way? Has anyone else done anything like this? How did it go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Crimes in a country that uses pounds may be significantly different than in the U.S., partly because over here across the pond we have the NRA.

If you have a local Crime Analyst paid for by your tax dollars then I suggest you ask them for guidelines specific to your neighborhood.

BTW, burglars are different from robbers: burglars don't want a confrontation, robbers have one on every job.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 06-02-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:39 PM  
carnuck

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We have Harbor Freight here and a set of 6 cameras with controller and 48 hour recorder is about $200.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM  
katec

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
We have Harbor Freight here and a set of 6 cameras with controller and 48 hour recorder is about $200.

Wow that's pretty cheap. What sort of setup does that use? Did a company fit it or is it DIY done?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 404 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 130

http://www.harborfreight.com/househo...ies-61229.html

It's DIY friendly.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

I got a HF chopsaw as a gift and I had a question.

Their 800 help number is a joke (this is getting to be normal in the USA) so I wrote them a letter.
They seemed offended that I would even question them, I think they know nothing about what they sell, so they wrote me a smart-a$$ letter back.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I figured out the answer myself.

I still use that saw occasionally and I'm still waiting for it to fail catastrophically and cut off some of my body parts.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:03 PM  
carnuck

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use their stuff and consider it disposable and pay accordingly. Their solar panel stuff has the sloppiest soldering and the wrong solder for exterior electric to boot.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM  
Bailenforcer

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I found a reputable ebay seller ( cctvhotdeals ) of CCTV in Campaign Illinois. The system I bought is 8 cameras with night ability and 480 lines (Beginning HD ) and a small DVR that has a 1 Terabyte hard drive. The system is fairly cheap and I can view it through the Internet with an Iphone/Android or any computer with the FREE Zmodo software. I am impressed considering the cost and I put the whole system up with 4 cameras up in the tree canopy where they are not seen and 4 more surrounding the house 360 degrees. One can in no way approach my place without being seen, and my Pit Bull watches the cameras and let's me know when anyone approaches. The Pit Bull wasn't included in the deal, he learned on his own with a little help from me pointing at the Visio television I use as a monitor. He now runs to the door someone is walking up to to be ready to greet them.

I thought I would let you know since this is affordable and has a long record time. NOTE: you can upgrade to a larger drive also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katec View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am planning to hook up a home CCTV system, and I want to run the plan by you all and find out whether or not any of you have undertaken similar plans previously, and if so what advice you may give me.

So - to reduce the downtime I'm planning to use a dedicated router for wireless webcam connections, with one directed on the front street and the other to the back yard. Each will record footage to a Raspberry Pi (one for each camera), which will save the footage to hard drives, as the Pi's don't have great storage and I won't need to keep any of the footage for extended periods of time.

The one directed to the front of the house will be motion activated, recording only while there is motion or motion has been detected within the last 5 minutes. The one directed at the back yard will record constantly and stream live over the internet, allowing me to check on my dogs (who have access to the rear yard during the day) while I am at work.

My current estimation is that this will cost me approximately £130 to set up - which is cheaper than any CCTV systems I have seen, and of course more customisable to my needs.

Would it work the way I want it to if I set it up this way? Has anyone else done anything like this? How did it go?

Last edited by Bailenforcer; 06-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 PM  
Bailenforcer

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Between the Pit Bull, German shepherd LE trained dog, and a angry old man with a Glock 45 acp we don't see much crime here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
Crimes in a country that uses pounds may be significantly different than in the U.S., partly because over here across the pond we have the NRA.

If you have a local Crime Analyst paid for by your tax dollars then I suggest you ask them for guidelines specific to your neighborhood.

BTW, burglars are different from robbers: burglars don't want a confrontation, robbers have one on every job.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
Between the Pit Bull, German shepherd LE trained dog, and a angry old man with a Glock 45 acp we don't see much crime here...
In Petosky they may leave the keys in the ignition while they go into a store.

And at least three women were friendly.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 06-07-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply