DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > Foundation insulation

Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 PM  
richpowell

Default Foundation insulation

I have an older home and am aware that there must be considerable heat loss/cold air infiltration through foundation wall in most northeastern homes.
In old days, farmers would place bales of hay, etc. around exterior of foundation wall. Is there a practical way to insulate foundation area from outside that would be effective and look OK? Dick Powell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM  
TheFentonGuy
Just Another Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheFentonGuy Send a message via MSN to TheFentonGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TheFentonGuy

Hi Dick!

I was going to do this to my cape here in Vermont, but didn't find this product until after the first few snow storms at the end of '07. I plan on doing this over the summer.

There is a company that sells Styrofoam insulation boards that have textured coatings on the outside, which you can use caulking or adhesive that you can glue this to the outside foundation. They claim this can help the 22% of heat loss from the foundation area on houses. I found the article in The Handyman Magazine: Dec/Jan '08 page 21.

Styro Industries
888-702-9920
styro.net

Last edited by TheFentonGuy; 01-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 134 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default It helps

The only issue with the styro is the bugs...termites burro right into it. You need to install a metal shield over it. This is so you can possibly see them, not to block them off.
You see they like insulation too, its warm and they don't have to worry about the outside weather.

Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM  
phreaq

I'm looking into this also, and here's some advice I got (but it seems you already know it)

on older homes, do not add insulation to the basement walls from the inside of the house, it should all be done outside (digging up the dirt around the foundation as needed).

the reason for this is all the water currently in your walls is staying as water (and not ice) because of the heat loss in your basement. If you insulated the inside of the walls, the water will loose it's heat source and freeze up, destroying your foundation.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Interesting... I am assuming that this is only true in very old flag stone foundation. . . I dont think ciderblock would be harmed by this.. maybe a poured cement... hmmm

Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

If its a foundation rather than a basement there is no need for insulation. It should be fiberglass between the floor joists; its fairly easy to install using push wires to support it.
For a new basement, I don't think you can beat the Styro-forms.
Glenn

Quick Reply