DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Dealing With Door Rot

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM  
MassWineGuy

Default Dealing With Door Rot

One of our doors has a significant amount of wood rot on the outside lower panel (about seven or eight inches high). I first want to try removing the rot, stabilizing the rotted area and filling it in with wood epoxy. If it looks awful, then I'll think about buying a new door.

I'm almost finished prying out the rotten wood and hope I can get it all. When I think I have, is the next step to treat the whol area with a wood hardener? Do you keep applying this until no more is absorbed?

Next step: Wood epoxy or resin?

What are the best products and methods?

I'm not handy at all, so doing things like take the door apart and rebuild it are not options.

Thank you.

IMG_4082.jpg   IMG_4083.jpg   IMG_4080.jpg  

Last edited by MassWineGuy; 06-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 962 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

Can you post a photo or two.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I have rebuilt wood frame storm windows using a method similar to what you are doing. I removed all rot and made sure I was into solid wood. The product I like to use is automotive body filler Bondo or Dura-glass etc. After I get the wood cleaned up I screw drywall screws into the area to be filled leaving them sticking out just below what will be the finished surface. These act like rebar. I put them in at all kinds of angles and crossing over each other. The windows I did I built a form around what I was going to fill by screwing strips of wood to the flat surfaces. Mix up some filler and pour it in. a little finishing is needed and sanding prime and paint.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Another tip I thought of that comes in handy when patching something like this is you may need a piece of good quality hardwood stock that’s thick. All the lumber yards carry .75 thick but something finished to a full inch is hard to find unless you have a saw mill handy. The building centers all sell unfinished stair treads yellow pine and oak. They are nice and wide and an inch thick. Several times I have bought just one and chopped it up to make a patch out of.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I haven't seen anyone try a repair that big and will be real interested in the outcome. I would be more inclined to remove that part and glue and screw a new peice one.

After that yopu will need some kind of porch or cover over that door the sheilld it from the rain.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM  
MassWineGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I haven't seen anyone try a repair that big and will be real interested in the outcome. I would be more inclined to remove that part and glue and screw a new peice one.

After that yopu will need some kind of porch or cover over that door the sheilld it from the rain.

Yes, I suppose I will either cut the whole bottom section out and replace it, or get a new door that I'll prime seal and paint very well.

Of course, this door has clear double-paned glass on the upper half, so that's bound to be horribly expensive.

Last edited by MassWineGuy; 06-24-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I would do a little searching. We have hardwood suppliers up hear that will machine wood the your specs. and if they don't carry the right wood you can find your own and the will machine it for you.
But like I said, I have not seen it filled like that but that might be the trick and if that dosn't work you could then cut it off.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM  
MassWineGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I have not seen it filled like that but that might be the trick and if that dosn't work you could then cut it off.
Yes, that's always an option. I'm sure there must be one of those shops around my area. Thanks for the good advice.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts

If you've had that much water damage to your door, have you checked for other rot to your floor and sill plate, under and around the door?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 AM  
MassWineGuy

I don't want to remove the door. I plan to

1) Apply wood hardener to stabilize the rotted wood still present.

2) Drill screws 1/4 of an inch deep to help stabilize and reinforce the epoxy.

3) Put thin strips of wood or cardboard along the bottom and lower side to help retain the proper dimensions of the door. I could use suggestions for this part.

Quick Reply