DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Convert 3-bulb light from hardwired to plug




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
registry_dropdown_17632_107575
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

If you go with a flexible cord don't forget to make a strain relief so that yanking on the cord doesn't stress the splices.


Wuzzat? is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
registry_dropdown_14946_107632
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 2,365
Liked 376 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Default

Start by replacing the ceiling light unit. That will give you some light and let you get used to doing some electrical work.

You know that you will probably not be able to sell the house with the makeshift wiring that you want to do. Any reputable home inspector will flag that. I am sure that it is not code anywhere in this country.

You mentioned that you get a little shock every once in a while from the existing switch. That is probably bad news and you should look into that before anything else.

You really must get up into that attic. If it's not safe to work in, it's probably not safe in general. Bring a piece or two of plywood up with you to lay across the joists so you can work without worrying about putting your foot through the ceiling. And take care of the rodent problem ASAP. If they are up there, then they are everywhere. And that's not good for all the wiring in your house.

Now that I'm thinking about it, just keep that nice new fixture in the box and save it for your new house. You have plenty of other things to do.


slownsteady is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
registry_dropdown_17632_107645
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
You mentioned that you get a little shock every once in a while from the existing switch. That is probably bad news and you should look into that before anything else.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
when my regular bathroom wall switch gave me a slight zap when I flipped the switch with damp hands.
There's a slight potential difference between the switch and whatever else conductive surfaces your body parts were touching at the time.
Assuming ~1 mA of current flowed through your ~1 kohm wet-skin+body+wet-skin resistance, this potential difference might be 1vac or more.
The first step is to measure the voltage between these two points. The next step, how much current & power this voltage can possibly deliver, is slightly more complex.

It may not be fatal but you ought to trace this down. If you can rent this
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/id...FTJn7AodREwA4A
you'll be way ahead of almost everyone as to being informed about your house wiring.

BTW, bathroom lighting can be tricky in order to avoid unflattering lighting angles. Lighting from the sides seems to be OK in all cases.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Wuzzat? is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
registry_dropdown_20526_107650
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 13,194
Liked 1308 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 2214

Default

The little shock could be static.
nealtw is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
registry_dropdown_17632_107656
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The little shock could be static.
I'd think the OP's damp hands would have bled off a static charge. Dunno', though.
Getting a meter and doing some poking around can't hurt.
Wuzzat? is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
registry_dropdown_20526_107661
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 13,194
Liked 1308 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 2214

Default

To bleed off static you need to touch something grounded, name one thing in the bathroom that you can touch that is grounded. Ya, the screw on the switch face plate.
nealtw is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 PM  
zannej
Senior Member
 
zannej's Avatar
registry_dropdown_33536_107692
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 535
Liked 145 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 1009

Default

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I actually have been thinking about just saving the light for another house. But now my mother is waffling about selling the place and moving again. She keeps changing her mind. One minute she wants to ditch this place and move and the next she doesn't want to consider moving. She says she is too old to have a mortgage and she doesn't want to spend more than $75k buying a house (but she wants 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3k sq ft, and at least 5 acres of land-- so.... not gonna happen).

I don't know if this house ever had a home inspection done on it. We got a private loan from a friend to buy it because the bank refused (they didn't cover rural homes at that time).

For some reason my parents didn't get a home inspection when they bought the place. As for the zap, I think sometimes I got zapped even with dry hands. There was a visible spark sometimes. I'm now thinking that maybe I should call my A/C guy who said he does some electrical work and see if I can get his help with some of this stuff. Its just going to cost some $ and I don't know when he'll be available.
zannej is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
registry_dropdown_30479_107695
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 1,789
Liked 567 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Default

I don’t think I saw it mentioned and it might be something you could do yourself and not be that disruptive to the room and also be to code and much safer than this plug in idea.

That would be use one of the surface mounted track wiring systems. Here is a how to on doing it.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/powering_...ceway_HT_PG_EL
bud16415 is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
registry_dropdown_17632_107708
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
To bleed off static you need to touch something grounded, name one thing in the bathroom that you can touch that is grounded. Ya, the screw on the switch face plate.
Basement floor concrete provides a conductive path to ground.
I don't know if dry tile or dry grout on a bathroom floor is conductive. If it is, it would need to be touching a water pipe to give the path to ground.
Wuzzat? is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 AM  
zannej
Senior Member
 
zannej's Avatar
registry_dropdown_33536_107843
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 535
Liked 145 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 1009

Default

Thanks, Bud. I read the link and noticed this:
Raceway is designed for indoor applications in dry areas and must be properly grounded.

I don't think it would be rated for a bathroom. And I would still have to plug it in to an outlet.

Wuzzat, I have linoleum floors. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Right now there is a mystery odor in the house and its making me sick. I don't know WTF it is... I think its coming from the laundry room. It almost smells like melting plastic but I'm not sure.


zannej is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Ceramic Light Fixture bulb size max jjohnston General Home Improvement Discussion 2 09-24-2012 04:13 PM
Ceiling Light Fixture Blows Up Bulb CMHbob Electrical and Wiring 11 04-17-2011 05:02 PM
Water in the light bulb! 123GOGator Electrical and Wiring 5 06-01-2010 11:20 AM
How many Plumbers does it take to screw in a light bulb? Homeowner2010 Plumbing Forum 9 03-06-2010 07:30 AM
Convert plug-in fixture to hardwire? Okay? Noah_B Electrical and Wiring 4 06-06-2008 09:07 AM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS