Linkedin

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
I got an invitation to join Linkedin from a person I know. I
don't wish to join because I already have too much of an Internet
presence.

The page said that I may know two other people who are on Linkedin and
it did name two people I know. I doubt that they know each other,
however.

One conclusion is that this Site has hacked my e-mail address list or
that of the other three people.

I welcome other ideas as to how this is happening.

I get those invites too, I believe they are spam. I get them from people I haven't talked to for years or someone that I dont get along with at all.

I’m not a social media type of person and I personally feel facebook is way over the line with information and linking the world together. On the other hand not being on facebook I find myself all the time being routed there to get some information I need. If I sign up for the 10% it might help me the other 90% would be full of looking at emails etc. of people wanting to be my friend.

The same is true to some extent with Linkedin. When we bought the new house we met the new neighbors and surprisingly he and I do the same type of work and had a bunch of similar hobbies outside of work. We exchanged a few emails as he had photos showing our house etc from 50 or more years ago.

Well the next thing I know I get an invite to be his friend or whatever linkedin calls it and I looked into this site a little and find it to be an adult version of something like facebook only geared to work life and exchanging information work related bla bla bla. Against my better judgment I joined it and allowed the connection between he and I. it’s been a few months and I really haven’t used it for nothing except finding out when he makes a new connection with someone and it has to have mined mine or others because I keep getting emails that say you might know so and so and here is how to connect with them.

I will be shortly signing off the site as I really see little use for it for me.

Another one that works about the same is classmates.com once on you start finding a lot of people you never talked to in high school really want to connect with you.

People use that site (and others) to get personal info to steal your identity. After getting a credit card bill faked in my name for $30 K I'm much more skeptical about putting my info out there.

Thanks to a friend I joined Linkapedia. It intantly seached my email records and told me all my friends that were members. And as soon as a new one signs up from my list they send me an email,
I ignore it as best I can, two of my friends sent me an email asking why I don't repond to them on that site, I pionted out that they do no my email address.

LinkedIn claims to be a "business networking" site, and it appears to be pretty much legit. But somehow, somewhere along the way, it opens up your contact list and sucks up all the names. No doubt it "ASKS" you for permission, but I don't remember seeing any permission form. I dislike it for that, but I continue to stay with it because there is a certain need to have an online presence, and I have connected to several people I know professionally that I had lost touch with.

So while I can't label it as evil, i wish they were more above-board in how they gather names.

Latest posts

Back