Can one man install a 10 foot scaffolding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
Seems to weigh about 600+ lbs.

Also if i attach a ladder to the top and it goes off and up a roof @ 45° for 18 feet and the person is 170lbs could the scaffolding tip over?

It's amazing how much you can actually do on your own when you need to and you figure it out. But I've also fallen 12 feet off planks because I wasn't paying attention. You could tie the scaffold to the house but at 28 feet would you really want to risk it.
I would ask what you're going to be doing and will you be moving the scaffolding.
I've used a pair of pump jacks with a plank on 24 foot poles, moved them by myself, to shingle the walls of a 2 story house. You can go up higher.
Here's some info if you're not familiar with them.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/01/012d6c7e-30c0-4690-b60e-170259e30fdf.pdf

Working on the roof,it's about 11 feet off the ground but the roof is about 18'. I guess i can attach some hangers to the roof beams through the sofits and tie to the scaffolding. I was gonna rent one is about 5x7 x 10 height. Then attach the ladder to the scaffolding.

I may have missed what you're trying to do but I'm now guessing you want to lay the ladder on the roof not up to the roof.
If that's the case, why not use a roof hook on the end of your ladder. It just hooks over the peak. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzHI0GpKOs[/ame]

Last edited:
That look's dangerous beachguy. Why would i do that when i could set up scaffolding that is way safer?

Beach guy just gave you the safest option, up to you to decide what is safer. Me? I'm doing what was suggested.

You mean hanging from the roof with those little metal clips is safer than this?
411605-decoration-care-merthyr-tydfil-aml-scaffolding-ltd-house-roof.jpg

You would do it that way because it's generally the way that's done if you're working on a roof, rather than the way you're looking to do it. There are other brands out there and other videos if you search ladder ridge hooks.

I don't know how you figure setting a ladder on 10 foot staging pitched up to your roof would be safer. Working on a roof is inherently dangerous but I would rather use products that are designed for it rather than jury rigging something.

Here's another.

http://www.acrobuildingsystems.com/...orced-ladder-hook-with-fixed-wheel-swivel-bar That picture is nowhere near what you were planning on doing.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like the 10 foot high staging you were going to rent and erect yourself.

This one is only 420 lbs. The way i see it you can't fall off the roof because the scaffolding will catch you, as long as i only work in the 6' range. Where as the roof hooks plenty can go wrong, what if the first ladder falls down? then i'm stuck on the roof. I think the key is attaching the scaffolding to the house. Sure it will take a lot longer but i have to do a lot up there anyways. Where would you put the materials, the tools?

778300855131_4.jpg

Last edited:
The way i see it you can't fall off the roof because the scaffolding will catch you, as long as i only work in the 6' range.

If the scaffolding catches you, you did fall off the roof. As long as you have no need to move beyond that 6 feet and it makes you feel more secure...have at it. The reality is that roofers have been using those hooks for as long as they've been working on roofs. Your method...not so much.

Sockets in the walls around the paleolithic cave paintings at Lascaux, suggest that a scaffold system was used for painting the ceiling, over 17,000 years ago.

The roof hooks are not allowed here in Canadastan, not sold anywhere banned like switch blades, fire crackers and num-chucks. If you don't believe me you can check homdepot.ca yourself. Same with roof ladders.

Seems scaffolding might be code in Europe for roofers.
6%20Full%20re-roof%20in%20progress%20Scaffolding.jpg

The other option is work with this roofer guy on the weekend, but the more i think about it, i don't want to do it with him. What if he drops something on me and kills me?

Do you mind explain what you have against scaffolding? The rental stuff will be old maybe 900 lbs. not so easy to tip over. That's why i'm asking maybe i should get them to set up the scaffolding and just rent 30 feet of the whole side of the roof, then they can come back and move it to the front. Probably not cost that much.
roof_finials_scaffolding_gravesend.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to weigh about 600+ lbs.

Also if i attach a ladder to the top and it goes off and up a roof @ 45° for 18 feet and the person is 170lbs could the scaffolding tip over?
I'd say the ladder/scaffold has to be tied on to the roof/building wall.

With no friction there'd be SIN(45) x 170 = 120 lbs in line with the ladder axis trying to push the scaffold over. With friction there'd be less.

To see if the scaffold weight cancels out the tipping force you need the scaffold base, width and height.
If it's 5' out from the wall, then the torque holding the scaffold upright is 5/2 ft x 600 lb = 1500 lb-ft. The force pressing each foot down is 600/4 lbs.
A horizontal force F at 10' high to bring this to verge of tipping is F = 600/10 = 60 lbs.

It's a problem in statics, unless the scaffold tips and then it becomes a problem in dynamics: with what speed will the top of the scaffold hit the ground?
This is a good physics problem that I'm glad I never had to solve on a test.

Last edited:
I have absolutely nothing against scaffolding. It can be very useful when used properly. I just don't believe that using it as a base for a ladder is it's best use.
If you have a ladder braced on it to the roof, at a 45degree pitch, and then climb on the ladder onto the roof, most all of the weight on the ladder will transfer to outward force on the scaffolding trying, to push it away from the building. That's not what the scaffolding is designed for.
Even though it's 900 lbs you could still potentially tip it over.
As far as them not being used up there, I find it hard to believe that everyone who works on a roof has to set scaffolding to do it. Especially a single story like yours. Your pictures show roofs of tile and slate. You want scaffolding there to support the load of the roofing material which is quite heavy.

Last edited:
. . .what you have against scaffolding?
This can be a logical fallacy but I can't find it right now in the list of fallacies.
The fallacy is that there are other possibilities besides an "anti-scaffold bias".

And post #7 seems like a Straw Man argument. #12?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

BTW, falling off a roof onto a scaffold will impart some horizontal force to the scaffold, tending to tip it. Your momentum has to be dissipated somehow.

From your posts, more and more I get the feeling there is more going on here than a physics problem.
My candidate for what else is going on here is
"Why Don't You... / Yes, But..."
a game identified by Eric Berne.

Last edited:
Is there a roof ladder or ladder hook attachment that has standoffs to hold the ladder away from the roof an inch or so? Reason being is so you slip shingles under it as you go on a steep roof.

I see putting shingles on as something pretty tough to get a robot to do and why would you want to? I think in the year 2014 should be able to come up with something better than shingles by now.

Over the weekend I went to a farm that had robotic cow milking and they work 24-7 , 365 without no human interaction except servicing and repair. First time cows take a day or two with humans showing them how it works and then that’s it. That is just about as hard as to automate as doing shingles IMO.

Back